Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Supposed to be coming down from Tennessee to Inlet Beach for a week mid-august. Here's the kicker - my wife is 26 weeks pregnant. A babymoon, if you will..

I'm trying to keep a level head and make the best decision amid all the media hype about Zika. Sounds like the only local transmissions have been in a small spot outside Miami, 600 miles away from the beach we will be at. Nevertheless, the concern still stands when I think about the prospect of brain damage in my unborn boy.

Is anyone hearing any local concerns about it spreading down there? Also, I feel like I very rarely see mosquitoes out on the beach, which is where we will be for a majority of the time we are not inside the condo which is across the street from the beach.

Would love to hear thoughts from anyone.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
CDC is recommending pregnant women be cautious. I think if I were her that I would wear bug spray in the early evenings and early morning hours when outdoors. Good insurance and not a bad idea to also keep from getting encephalitis once it begins here. I use bug spray and then I shower it off before I go to bed. There have been some Zika outbreaks in Alabama. Also, I have heard of one in Escambia and another in Santa Rosa -both from people traveling to South/Central America. At this time I have to agree with Splittine, the airplane hit is more likely but I would still protect the precious cargo.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
I've used Avon's Skin so Soft and it seemed to work for me and smells good. Paul Harvey had a radio broadcast about its effectiveness.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
SHunter, good advice but she'll need the repellant on all day. The Skeeters transmitting Zika are daytime biters.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All good stuff. Thanks for the input. Will keep an eye on it but we plan to be down there.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
As stated above, I would use plenty of repellant and get a thermacell. Cheap precautions could go a long way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts