Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed on my Hobie kayak that the ID numbers are often times difficult to discern and identify.
Another potential issue can arise if someone steals a Yak and then takes a soldering iron (melts) or a file and defaces the number. *
HOW can we then prove ownership in the event it is located or recovered ?
What are your suggestions ?
Another question is how do you lock your Yak to guard against theft ?
Please share any thoughts or suggestions that might assist others in the recovery of their stolen crafts.

*For the legal beagles that take exception to the "defacing", simply rubbing against a barnacled piling while fishing can effectively and innocently cause the same result.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I do not have one so I do not know: Is there somewhere inside that is thick enough to take a soldering iron and melt your name/contact info that would not likely be seen by a thief but easily found by you and not affect the structural integrity of the hull?

·
Registered
542 Posts
ownership

there are spots on kayaks that can be marked, look in storage areas a cut out or knotch can be made, if you cut a small piece out the bad guy will not replace it,. Take a picture save it only you know what was marked

·
Registered
959 Posts
there are spots on kayaks that can be marked, look in storage areas a cut out or knotch can be made, if you cut a small piece out the bad guy will not replace it,. Take a picture save it only you know what was marked
Just a thought. If you are going to do this I would also mark it somewhere obvious. Maybe the DB will think that is the only place you marked it and only deface that spot thinking "who would mark their stuff more than one place"

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I have a custom made aluminum boat. I put a plate in an obvious spot, and two more in spots where they wouldn't see them unless they were really looking.

On a kayak, just do something that makes it obviously unique and easy to identify. You could probably get some hot glue and glue something somewhere.

·
Jackson Cuda
46 Posts
I have a couple of places on my yak that are kinda hidden but identify that it is mine.

As far as security the yak is stored in my shop with a heavy duty cable run thru a scupper and locked to a eyebolt anchored in the concrete floor.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
you could mark it in a hidden spot with your name as well as the original serial number. Like under something that is not normally removed.
i.e. seat part or bracket or a panel anywhere.

Then make a notch somewhere on the outside that you know only you put there. A thief wont know that "war wound" is a way for you to casually walk by it and tell that it is yours.
At which point you call in the authorities and then dig up the hidden i.d. elsewhere to show the cops.

·
Big Dog
173 Posts
If you are going to make some sort of id on your yak.. It would also make sense to take a picture of that so you can give it to police for identifying it. You can put any id on it but if you can't back it up than it is your word against theirs.

·
Super Moderator
27,951 Posts
have the ID #'s or your SSN etched on a small metal badge and glued inside the yak out of sight....

·
VIP of the PFF
8,380 Posts
Hey Pat , put a couple of rainbow stickers on the outside of it for easy identification. Lol just kidding ! I don't think that I would put my SSN on it . Maybe hide your phone number in it somewhere.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts