Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't hired a guide to fish in a very long time. I did once and now we are very close friends and He wouldn't let me pay him a dime to fish. But we fish together as often as I am in his area, but we fish together as friends do.

If I were to pay someone to take me fishing, I would want them to be fun to be around and with. Most importantly I would wantthe tripto be as close to Me fishing with a Buddy as possible. Some of the great charter captains have this abilty, and do very well for it. On the first, and Onlyguided trip I ever paid for in Islamorada, I caught several Bonefish, all on Fly, and I traded places with my guide and he caught a couple before I came down from the Poling Platform. We had alot of fun, and we still do to this day.

If you hire a Guide or Charter a Fishing Trip, what is important to you? What would be your wishes for the trip to be like?

Please don't mention any Names.

·
Super Moderator
12,519 Posts
the way a guide makes it in the business is not going out and catching as many fish as possible, or the biggest fish... but rather acting like you said, being very social, nice, and professional. with that said, some of the most successful guides in this area can spend a morning catching ladyfish and bluefish, and have a person so excited that they come backfor manyyears...

in my opinion, it's not about what you catch, it's about the time you have on the water, whether that be with a guide, on the pier, in the boat with friends... i'm much more inclined to go fishing with someone again if we go out and enjoy eachother's company, and not catch anything... than if i go and catch a limit and they don't say anything other than "drop 'em down".

catching fish with good company is always great too!

just my .02

·
Your mom's a
6,790 Posts
My last guide trip was much like Garbo said.

I called this guide, a friend of a friend, and instantly knew he was going to be a good guy to fish with. Cracking jokes on the phone, he made fun of me for being lefthanded and the fact he had to switch his reels over.

Day of the trip was great, me, two friends (one who had never fished before) and the guide. I had one request for the entire trip. Tripletail.

We got plenty of them it just took some time. Lost a few, he made fun of me because I was supposed to be the "big outdoors writer" while he was more than patient with the beginner angler (she was getting married in a few days and he harassed her about it all day).

Four or five different spots, four or five large tripletails came and went. Baitcasters cost us more fish that day then we caught. Stupid baitcasters.

He asked us what we were doing for dinner as we told him there was a group of almost 20 in town and hanging out for the wedding. Well, with the one triple we kept, we weren't having a huge fish fry.

He said "Yes, you are."

For the next two hours -- two hours over the alloted time of the trip -- we whacked trout in a little creek mouth that was 10 miles from where we finished tripletail fishing. We ended up with 40 something trout, a dozen flounder and some reds --more than enough to fry up for everyone.

We were drifting shrimp on corks and I remember him trying to tell the bride-to-be (who was talking to me and facing the wrong way) she had a fish on. "Traci, fish. Traci, fish. TRACI! FISH!! HEY LADY, PLEASE!!! Reel!!!"

I still laugh at that.

He ran us back, wished us luck and as he was pulling away from the dock (he picked us up on our island not the one he usually runs from) I got his attention for one last question.

He and his wife came over that night and joined us for dinner, brought a couple bottles of wine and had a blast.

I still talk to him about once a month even though I've only met him that one time.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I had atrip that was the polar opposite of those. A couple of guys and me chartered an inshore guide out of Venice and he was a dick. He put us on fish but his attitude sucked. I was much younger, like 20 and I had brought a couple of rods with smaller Penn Z reels. You know how the Z reels have the clicking sound when you reel? He flipped out over that and said he couldn't fish with that noise. I flipped the reverse switch on the reel so it wouldn't make the clicking anymore but I didn't like having the reel where it could rotate backwards. I was young then and dealt with it, but it'd be a different story now. I bet he didn't say 100 words the entire day.

·
Registered
807 Posts
i want my guide to be passionate about his/her fishing. when i am on the boat i do not want my guide to think of my day on the water as work for him/her. most people do not like to be at work!

i want my day with my guide to be an adventure. catching fish is not an adventure but all the casting...exploring...searching for the fish...all the wild life and all the aquatic life you see is the adventure. i want my guide to laugh...talk and fish if there is room for on the boat.

i want to see things i would not see in my own back yard.

i want to fish artificial!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
captwesrozier (10/9/2009)i want my guide to be passionate about his/her fishing. when i am on the boat i do not want my guide to think of my day on the water as work for him/her. most people do not like to be at work!

i want my day with my guide to be an adventure. catching fish is not an adventure but all the casting...exploring...searching for the fish...all the wild life and all the aquatic life you see is the adventure. i want my guide to laugh...talk and fish if there is room for on the boat.

i want to see things i would not see in my own back yard.

i want to fish artificial!!!!!!!
i will take you fishing capt. wes. everyday my boat hits the waters is a adventure. ( not knowing if you are going to make it back alive! )

but we laugh about it!

scot

·
Registered
541 Posts
I like the thrill of the hunt myself. I love it when a captain says lets go see if we can find some nice groupers or snappers today.Thats it! Catching is a bonus but looking around and trying to figure out what the dynamics of the game will be that day. I also find that when I take people out on my boat for a day of fun and fishing that they really get thrilled when I round up over a spot that is marking some serious fish and tell them to bait up and get ready. I will show them on my video finder what I am seeing, what I think it is, and how far up or down to be to try and get a hit. I tell them to be ready, hang on. They love the stalking and the waiting and anticipation and then the hit...or miss. Most of all they like to be treated like theyare good fisherman. I for one cannot stand to be treated like I'm fish ignorant by captains or mates that "know it all". I may not know all that you know but I do know what I know. Make it fun for me. Teach me or my mates the secret little tricks that intice the bite, and I will be back. With more people.Good post Garbo!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think its very important to give your expectations to the guide over the phone prior to the trip. Last time I used my guide in Key West I made it clear that we wanted to target sailfish.

We showed up about 30 minutes early and he already had the boat preped so we launched early at no cost. We told him of our thing of not drinking any beer until we catch our first fish. He responded laughing and told me have a beer and leave the catching fish part up to him. Not two minutes after cracking a beer; FISH ON!. Funny how that happened.I got my sailfish and it was a beast. He then asked me since we got the sail can we go after some meat? We ended up with 2 hoos 28#,37# and a2 dolphin about 10-12. What a great <U>4 HOUR</U> trip.

Last but not least the guide knew I had a boat and an addiction to being offshore so he had the mate spend the run in showing me thier rigging techniques and how to make thier "CLASSIFIED" teaser. Might share that with you guys at a later date.

He has a customer for life!

Thats my .02

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have fished with guides on the the gulf around pensacola 4 times and fished with guides on the east coast 5 times.This is just my oppinion the guides on the gulf are just more friendly than the ones I've have hired on the east coast of Florida,they"THE ONES ON THE GULF"like been said on here it's like fishin with a freind.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I have fished with guides in Pensacola, Mobile, Venice, and Grand Isle. The guide has to put me on fish. I don't care if he is Mr. Personality.I care if he catches fish. I care that his boat and equipment are maintained. Most of them have good personalities anyway, or they would be in a different business. They seem to appreciate that I know what I am doing and many times we fish together, instead of them having to babysit me and my friends. I have been on at least 10 guided trips, and never had a bad time. It is ALWAYS worth the money for what you learn and the fun you have. Tip well. They will remember you!

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,092 Posts
When I first arrived here in 1991 I hired Bob Gray from Gray's tackle. I told him I was in the market for a boat and was looking for some shallow water and near shore fishing information.

We launched before sunrise from Galvez Landing, fished the lights, flats as the sun came up, and trolled the bouys as it got later. It was GREAT, he held nothing back and I learned a lot. Bob and his wife Maggie became good friends of mine. They hired a buddy's son to work at their shop based on my recommendation.

A good guide should be a friendand a fountain of information for a day.

Jim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts