Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm probably gonna buy this boat I'm looking at. It's 26' long, 10' beam, drafts 18", weighs about 6500lbs dry, probably 7500lbs loaded. It has twin 350 inboards.

What kind of <U>cruising</U>MPG's would you expect? (supposed to cruise 22, WOT 33)

I was guessing 1.5-2.0 tops?? But I don't know much...

Thanks, Ken

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I used to have a 27' Pursuit with tower that had 2 Crusader 350s. They were carburettor models and ran pretty well. Fuel was about 25 gph at 22kts with straight inboards. Figure your boat is a little lighter and no tower, so you should figure about 1 mpg.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Xandau, how many miles are average gulf outing trips? I'm trying to get an idea of what fuel costs might be for a day of fishing....

Would you think 12 miles out, 5-6 miles trolling, 12 miles back? So far, I've only ever fished in the bay. If this boat deal goes through I'm headin to the pass and the gulf!

·
Jim T's sworn enemy!
2,259 Posts
If your headed to the good water to troll then figure on at least 25-30 miles minimumeach way plus a lot more trolling miles. Hope ya got deep pocketsor some paying company to fish with. Also don't forget that if the gulf turns sporty and it will some days then your fuel burn will go up considerably. Not trying to discourage you from buying a bigger boat just stating some facts. Good luck with the purchase.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I would not expect more than 1 mpg, I also know that what you think and plan to do on a certain day ALWAYS ends up to be longer than you expect, there is ALWAYS the "one more spot just a little farther" or "just another 10 min" your 12 miles out and 5-6 miles trolling and back will end up being more times than not 20 miles out and 10-15 trolling. total of about 65 miles, I am always shocked how far I end up running when I go back and look at my estimated. With gas prices today that is a $260 trip, I am not trying to discourage but I sence a hint of hesitation. Just trying to give you a experienced perspective

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OKAY, I KNOW THIS IS GONNA SOUND DUMB, maybe....

But, I don't know the answerand maybe someone who does know will say?

I have no shame in asking questions so here goes....

Once you get a boat with twin engines up on a plane and cruising, is it possible to keep it on a plane, if you shut down one engine and just run on a single engine??

First, I was mainly wondering if this is even possible.Second, could there be any benefit if it was possible.

I can afford gas either way, just wondering....

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
BIGRIGZ (12/27/2007)Xandau, how many miles are average gulf outing trips? I'm trying to get an idea of what fuel costs might be for a day of fishing....

Would you think 12 miles out, 5-6 miles trolling, 12 miles back? So far, I've only ever fished in the bay. If this boat deal goes through I'm headin to the pass and the gulf!

Your needs and mine might be way different. My typical trip ranges from 30 miles from the sea buoy each way with 8-24 hours of fishing all the way on out to over 100 miles from the pass each way with the same fishing.

What kind of fish do you want to catch and what are you planning to do with the boat? Oh, and what is it?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
BIGRIGZ (12/27/2007)OKAY, I KNOW THIS IS GONNA SOUND DUMB, maybe....

But, I don't know the answerand maybe someone who does know will say?

I have no shame in asking questions so here goes....

Once you get a boat with twin engines up on a plane and cruising, is it possible to keep it on a plane, if you shut down one engine and just run on a single engine??

First, I was mainly wondering if this is even possible.Second, could there be any benefit if it was possible.

I can afford gas either way, just wondering....

Maybe possible, but no benefit. Boats aren't like cars. They don't coast ever and there is no downhill. That's why diesels with all the torgue are better for boats.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I mostly fish the bay now. I have an 18' jonboat but, it has kinda low freeboard and it makes me nervous when it gets rough out. Plus, it's rather slow at 22mph WOT.

with a 26'

I would look forward to camping on the boat, fishing the pass and close offshore like <1mile from the beaches, fishing around the bridges with my 4-5 buddies onboard. I dont really have any heavy fishing tackle to go out and troll so, I'd probably be bottom fishing for a while...

·
Registered
216 Posts
When you land your first Wahoo or see a bill fish come up in your spread it will be hard to keep a boat like that close in !!! I still bottom fish and enjoy putting Snapper and grouper in the box,, But there is nothing like blue water fishing !!!!!!!!! Good luck. I run around 150 miles in a day of fishing in blue water.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Personnally, I will never own another inbd un less it was a deisel, 26 ft is tuff to trailer, 22-24 will do what the 26 will do, just my 25 yr exp. , if you can, stick with a dependable o/b with low hrs.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
BIGRIGZ (12/27/2007)Well, I mostly fish the bay now. I have an 18' jonboat but, it has kinda low freeboard and it makes me nervous when it gets rough out. Plus, it's rather slow at 22mph WOT.

with a 26'

I would look forward to camping on the boat, fishing the pass and close offshore like <1mile from the beaches, fishing around the bridges with my 4-5 buddies onboard. I dont really have any heavy fishing tackle to go out and troll so, I'd probably be bottom fishing for a while...

You are really stepping into a whole new ballgame financially. It's like there is no comparison.

wet slip or dry stack fee's alone will go a long way to paying the fuel bill on a trailer boat.

My buddies 27 Tira got .9mpg @ 3000RPM= 24mph.

From what you have stated above. I would forgo this boat. Move into a 24ft with big outboard.

Your experience right now is limited and thus you seem to want to stay close. This will change with experience and time, but the ability to pour, yes pour money into the fuel tank may not change. I actually quit going with my buddy that had that Tira. I couldn't afford my part of the fuel bill.

He has gotten rid of that boat a while ago. He now has a 30ft twin outboard boat that he trailers.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
And..................It ani't the only boat in FL!! Gas is probably gonna kill ya. Look around, EVERY boat is for sale..............

BillD

·
Registered
310 Posts
Ditto the above comments.. twin 350's on a 26 are gonna provide poor fuel economy and speed compared to an outboard powered boat. You have stated that you dont plan to go out far due to lack of experience and equipment.. then why not buy a good 22-24 with an outboard and get 3mpg or more? In addition to all these factors resale is gonna be hurt as fuel priced climb.. I dont know many people lookining for a 26 that gets less than a mile per gal!

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
twin inboard gas motors are a PAIN to keep running in salt water. trust me i have had 350's then repowered to 454's then converted to boat to diesel cummins 250's and now repowered to 300 cummins. you could not pour me on a gas inboard boat! save more money and buy a 4 stroke outboard boat. you would not believe the amount of money i have spent running and maintaining those gas inboard motors. wish i could get it all back!!

oh, i forgot to answer your question. with my flow scans i was getting .79 mile per gallon. that was with the 454's. i don't remember what i got with the 350's.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts