Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WAY BETTER. yes I'm stirring the pot (). I dont know why Im just now realizing this but shrimpers bycatch is a waste. Its obvious but I havent really thought about it. Watching Dirty Jobs, I see what they have to pull in (and kill) to get shrimp. Its crazy. I dont see how shrimping is legal. I know all this isnt new but I thought I'd bring it up again just to see what everyone thinks.

·
Registered
530 Posts
i agree with you...i spent all of last year researching bycatch and stuff for a research project here at UA. i think i remember that shrimp bycatch ends up killing around 4 million young red snapper a year.

·
Banned
186 Posts
Are there alternative harvest methods available to the shrimpers? I know this may be sacreligious, but I really can't tell much of a difference between "Wild Gulf Shrimp" and the farm-raised ones.

Doug

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,547 Posts
The problem here is a catch-22. If we start fighting with each and every group of fisherman the gov't will eventually make it illegal to even wet a line or have it so restrictive that you won't be able to keep anything you catch. I believe we all have to ban together and fight the State and Federal restrictive regulations. Alone we don't stand a chance.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Nets are not discriminatory. There was a program on discover showing the LARGE tuna netting.When their by catch gets to a point they cannot net in the certain area of the bearing until population gets back to a certain number. Most of the shrimp and other fish are imported anyway.

Once again I ask the question; What happened to commercial hunting?:doh

·
Banned
137 Posts
U.S. shrimpingis rapidly becoming a losing proposition. Count the # of shrimp boats working Pensacola Bay. Most of the time0.American shrimpers cannot compete with imports, just like many US jobs. Thestocks are simply being over fished i.e., recreational and commercial. We have to fact hard reality. Too many boats, too much electronics, not enough fish. Strict regulation is our only hope. Let's support the science and not "catch the last fish".

·
FORMER Shore & Pier Guide
685 Posts
A few years ago (with MUCH opposition) Alabama adopted an areaPERMANENTLY closed to shrimping around the northern edge of the Mobile Bay. (see map below)

Since then the populations of shrimp, crab and finfish (especially croaker, white trout and to a slightly lesser extent flounder) have flourished.

In nature it doesn't take much to 'tip the balance' one way or the other ;-)

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I'm just curious, don't you think the red tide we had last week did a number on more fish that all the bay shrimper's?

I mean, there were dead fish all over the bay!! All different kinds to. Didnt notice an dead shrimp though!!

Rock on

BillD

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone remember how much better the Trout fishing was when netting was allowed?

I do not know if there is any connection, but I do know that Trout fishing sucks now and the netters have been stopped.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I think some of you are a little off on this one. First of all, I like shrimp. They're hard to catch with a hook though.

Shrimping has a long history in our area. With our fertile bays and waterways we get a large renewable resource of shrimp. Go east to Appalachacola and you'll get oysters and scallops, go to some of the inlets down south and you'll get monster Tarpon, go further south to the Keys and you'll load up on Dolphin and Yellowtail snapper. So really what your seeing is a localized area rich with shrimp.

As for bycatch- it's the same with all non-targeted species. In fact- measures are taken to reduce bycatch as much as possible, I'm sure. No it's not 100% flawless. Neither is fishing with hook and line. How many baits go to waste to catch a keeper snapper? What about the bait dumped after fishing?

I think the problem is not bycatch- but bycatch waste. On one hand, I think the shrimpers should keep the bycatch and convert it to other food sources. Maybe food for feed stock, food for aquacultured or pond raised fish. Or even used as a natural ferilizer. On the other hand, if they keep the bycatch, that mortality rate is 100%. There is no chance a juvenile snapper will make it.

The problem is the waste. Ourcattle/poultry community utilizes every portion of a pig, cow and chicken. There is very minimal waste. Same thing with terrestrial farming. The waste after harvest becomes compost or further re-introduced into the soil. Now the big thing is bio-desiel.

You see my point. the waste is what we get ticked at.

As for the comment that 4 million snapper are killed by bycatch. Seems low to me! Hell I probably killed a million myself this year in the 13-16" range. Seems a shame to let those float off and get eaten by flipper, cudas or just plain floating away and dying. This is called 'limitsor restrictions', but it is really just culling! Plain and simple. Where do the 'experts' think these undersize snappers are going- Back to the bottom to grow up bigger? Nope- They're dying!

What we don't want is Government to get involved any further. All they do is spend our money on 'research' and then limit recreational limits. I don't have all the answers to the problem- but I think I have a better idea than most! I can damn sure tell you what isn't working- and that's the system now!

Also- the reason that imported shrimp and fish are increasing is not a reflection on the health of the fish populations, but rather a Governmentspearheaded program that frowns on American prosperity andrewards foreign product. There was a great post on this a few months ago that had documents and paperwork that supported such claims.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Ita dammed if you do dammed if you dont issue. Farm raise shrimp are ok but FRESH gulf shrimp are great to eat. I have even seen adds to promote buying Gulf instead of farmed shrimp. Then the fishemen chine in and say dont buy GULF shrimp so the shrimpers will go out of business,

The NEXT millionaire will be the person who can figure out how to save the world and invent a new way to catch shrimp. Well I think this has been goin on long enough that there will never be an answer. Shrimping ruins he grass bottoms of the bay which make the trout fishing better. Becuse there is less place for the trout. So once again there is no answer

1 - 13 of 13 Posts