Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Out of Towner
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Pensacolans...

I'll be spending the week in Perdido Key (a mile from the Florida-Alabama state line) in a couple of weeks from now... I'm bringing my kayak to get my clear-water fix.... Coming from a few hundred miles west of you, I'm not used to water you can actually see your feet... I have mostly trout/redfish gear, and I'd like to stay within a mile of the breakers/surf...

I originally imagined taking the kayak directly onto the beach in front of the condos we're staying at, but if nothing's happening for me, I'd want to venture out somewhere in the bay in hopes of getting a little line stripped from my reel... With that said, if you had the week off, where would you go?

If anyone is going out and don't mind me following, I'd love to shadow you from afar, and try to do what you're doing to catch fish... I promise I won't be in your way or slow you down on your mission... I just really need a general direction and some places to launch without having to worry too much about my truck being there when I came back haha...

I appreciate any knowledge and/or float plans to assist me in my mission... I'm not looking to broadcast anyone's honey holes, so if you do share those with me, PM would be appropriate and very much appreciated... Otherwise, give me some places to kill a week in your neck of the woods! :thumbsup:

Again, thanks for reading and tight lines! :beer:,
Corey

·
Senior Yakker
2,765 Posts
The Pensacola Bay Bridge is a good place to try. Boat launches on both ends offer access. Got a good chance to catch bull reds, spanish macks, white+speckled trout, kings and maybe even a tarpon if you're lucky...or not so lucky if you're using a trout rod. If you want to chase reds/specks, stay in Perdido. Plenty of great grass flats all around you.

·
Out of Towner
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Pensacola Bay Bridge is a good place to try. Boat launches on both ends offer access. Got a good chance to catch bull reds, spanish macks, white+speckled trout, kings and maybe even a tarpon if you're lucky...or not so lucky if you're using a trout rod. If you want to chase reds/specks, stay in Perdido. Plenty of great grass flats all around you.
Thanks for the reply... I'll definitely try that a day or two... Maybe North end of the bridge one day, South end the other day... Guess it kind of depends on which way the wind's going... Probably go whichever shore the wind is blowing the bait to...

15 lb fluoro and 20 lb braid? Steel leaders? 4/0 circle hooks? Cork or double drop rig? Fresh dead finger mullet? Is bait readily available in the area? Thanks again...

·
Senior Yakker
2,765 Posts
Should be some bait around. Try to get some live pinfish, mullet or menhaden. Should find all three in the bayou at the north side...under the train track.

·
Topwater Addict
487 Posts
Seeing as you know your stuff for trout no need on basic advice there, it all works here for the most part. I'm originally from the Mississippi coast so I'm used to what you are as far as inshore. The fish in the clearer water of the bays here seem a little more particular though as far as lures, best bet is to match the hatch if you go artificial. Definitely steel leaders if you plan to get into the toothier fish like Spanish and Kings which are thick in the bay right now especially around 3 Mile Bridge. If you plan to chase the kings or tarpon you'll need something a little bigger than the inshore gear though. I keep a 4/0 Penn on a pretty stiff rod but guys on here could give you a lot more info on gear for the bigger fish. I'm still just learning.

·
Topwater Addict
487 Posts
In addition to your first question about parking your truck. If you are going to fish at night the north side of 3 Mile is a little questionable with the train tracks and Pensacola's large population of drifters. Stick with the south side at night. During the day either is fine I leave mine at the North side all the time. Great spot for bait as mentioned right there around the tracks too.

·
Out of Towner
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info, rfh21...

When Yakavelli mentioned bait earlier, I assumed he was referring to a bait shop or bait camp... Knowing I can readily cast net bait sure makes things easier... Thanks for that... Adding 3 mile bridge to the list of places to fish... and thanks for the heads up on the railroad at night...

It looks like there is a drivable pier that runs parallel from the north side of the 3 mile bridge to about 1/2 a mile out going south... Is that a fishing pier? I'll have to keep that in mind if the conditions aren't conducive to kayaking... When kayaking this area, is 'structure' the name of the game? In other words, fish the back sides of the bridge/pier pilings? I notice in the aerials on Google Earth there are lots of flats on the North-East side of the bridge and lots of grassy areas on the North-West side of the bridge... Lots of cool areas to explore that's for sure... I'll be watching for trout slicks and working birds.... Day 3-4 planned... haha

·
Senior Yakker
2,765 Posts
Whaaaat...sorry for going third person here but, Yakavelli don't buy bait! Lol I was talking about catching it. Yes, its a fishing pier. The better fishing is out beyond that pier though. As far as night fishing, the bridge is the place to be. The lights from the bridge draw in lots of bait and big bull reds. Just make sure you are wary of boats zooming around. You don't have to fish right on the pilings, if your fishing at night, concentrate on the shadow line.

·
Topwater Addict
487 Posts
No problem, always try to help with what I know. That is a fishing pier and they have an honor system for paying with different prices to walk and drive. I don't do the pier fishing thing but there is a ton of info on 3MB pier in the pier section on here.

It's been summer as long as I've been kayaking and the key has been deep water near shallow water for trout. As you are a trout fisherman already you know this and in winter things change. So up Texar Bayou might also be a good place to try if the wind is bad since you'll be launching right there anyways. Right on the Northwest side of the pier is an area called Greenshores. Its a shoreline recovery project with riprap and grass. Tried fishing it and all that's there is trash fish so unless you hear otherwise from a report don't waste your limited time because that seems to be the recurring census there. I've done well on Spanish to the west of 3MB chasing birds and slicks. Trout-wise I've done well along the bank that runs to the west. Won't give away my exact spot but I've got some BIG trout along the rock bank of the port (personal best 27" there). There is a little park right there you can launch from as well. Again a major spot for the homeless to hang out. My run ins with them have been harmless interest in what I caught or if they could have my fish but something to keep in mind if you go there. It saves you a heck of a paddle from 17th avenue. Hope that gives you some starting places and options if you get a windy day. As mentioned before give a heads up on here when you'll be where and I might be able to join you.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Give me a shout before you head this way. I'll take you out at Johnson Beach on The Key in the Gulf if the weather is good and even have a combo or two you can use while you are here. Always willing to help out my brethren and the fact you are in Texas helps since I am a Texan as well ;)

·
Out of Towner
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Whaaaat... Yakavelli don't buy bait! Lol I was talking about catching it. Yes, its a fishing pier. The better fishing is out beyond that pier though. As far as night fishing, the bridge is the place to be. The lights from the bridge draw in lots of bait and big bull reds. Just make sure you are wary of boats zooming around. You don't have to fish right on the pilings, if your fishing at night, concentrate on the shadow line.
LMAO!! :thumbup:

I hear that...

The temperature is what's going to dictate whether I spend more or less time on the water at night... Honestly, I hadn't even considered night fishing from the kayak until you said that... Guess I'll have to bring my 360 degree light... and a lot longer anchor rope than I'm used to...

·
Out of Towner
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't do the pier fishing thing.... all that's there is trash fish so unless you hear otherwise from a report don't waste your limited time because that seems to be the recurring census there. I've done well on Spanish to the west of 3MB chasing birds and slicks. Trout-wise I've done well along the bank that runs to the west. Won't give away my exact spot but I've got some BIG trout along the rock bank of the port (personal best 27" there). There is a little park right there you can launch from as well...... As mentioned before give a heads up on here when you'll be where and I might be able to join you.

Thanks, thanks, and thanks! I'll be sure to post up...

Give me a shout before you head this way. I'll take you out at Johnson Beach on The Key in the Gulf if the weather is good and even have a combo or two you can use while you are here. Always willing to help out my brethren and the fact you are in Texas helps since I am a Texan as well ;)
Good looking out! I definitely will take you up on that... Love me some BTB fishing with the right tackle...

Need to find a waterproof pillow since it sounds like I'll be living and sleeping on the water that week! haha

1 - 14 of 14 Posts