Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Summer I decided to bite the bullet and invest in high quality hunting clothes. Even though I bought everything on sale and over a period of time, it was still painful. I figured it would be a one time purchase that would last for several years as long as I didn't change my body weight drastically. Well, after a year, I am totally convinced I made the right decision. Sure, you can hunt in blue jeans and a pullover. I did for a few years. I also bought the cheapest stuff I could afford and used hand me downs. Of course, it all works. But I am now a believer that the high quality stuff is worth every penny. Although there are several high end brands, I chose to buy KUIU. Here's why...

1. I went from 2 full bins of clothes to a single bag. This stuff is far warmer with far less bulk and weight.
2. The technical gear is extremely comfortable and breathes well while maintaining warmth.
3. It is made by hunters for hunters with means the pockets are in the right places, the zippers move the right direction, and the padding is in all the right spots.
4. The warranty. I have a pair of pants that have a zipper that sometimes won't stay up. Today I called KUIU, told them the problem...and they said "another pair is on the way." No questions asked. It is a lifetime, no questions asked warranty.

Like I said...you can wear whatever you want and your clothes don't make you a better or worse hunter. But if you are thinking about it and have some extra money...go ahead and buy quality clothes. It really is worth it.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I have almost stopped hunting and now have a closet full of clothes from Bass pro to military I need to get rid of, some never worn.

·
Super Moderator
12,564 Posts
I started buying Sitka around Thanksgiving and have 6 pieces... it's expensive, but it's worth every penny.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I've heard of both brands,but just can't pull the trigger...I have so much stuff,that re-outfitting just isnt going to happen,But thanks for the heads up Spooney and others...Maybe one day if I get on a high dollar hunt, I'll take the plunge.......

·
Registered
12,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I've heard of both brands,but just can't pull the trigger...I have so much stuff,that re-outfitting just isnt going to happen,But thanks for the heads up Spooney and others...Maybe one day if I get on a high dollar hunt, I'll take the plunge.......
I made a list of what I wanted after a bunch of research and then just waited till each item went on sale. You can also get it used on Archery Talk. Usually 1/2 the price of new, although you don’t get the lifetime warranty if it is used.

·
Alumacrafty
107 Posts
I like many began my outdoor experiences wearing some KMART brand camouflage. I was young with family and that’s what I could afford. Fast forward to today and I have a closet and clothes racks and tubs filled with brown and white camo. What I learned is this. I buy clothes with goretex. I hunt from heated blinds. I used my clothes more for fishing. Buy the best you can afford. It is all about layering.

·
Registered
12,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Delta, you're not wrong about the cold, but to me the advantage is the weight and moisture wicking properties. I can carry everything I need for the day and be good from 30 degrees to 70 degrees. These new fabrics are incredible.

·
Super Moderator
12,564 Posts
The warmth is definitely a plus... the thing I like the most, is how these jackets and pants are cut. They are made for bow hunters (unlike my old under armour jacket that was made by a soccer player or something.) Pockets where you need them, high quality material. Everything is double stitched. The only improvement my sitka could have is if was mossy oak bottom land pattern

·
Registered
12,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JohnB, I agree. The cut is perfect for hunting. And the way the material stretches is perfect as well.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I made the choice l most 8 years ago to go with higher quality and unfortunately more expensive hunting clothes. I am just now replacing some of those items. When I used Guide Gear, Red Head... name you bargain brand, I was replacing hunting clothes every other season and they were bulky as all get out, mostly cotton based and did not wick sweat away which caused me to get cold even in 30 degree weather.
I went to 1 early season set for archery and 2 midseason sets because it really does not get cold enough to wear the late season items here in the South East. Decreased my storage requirement from 2 plastic totes to one Scent Crusher duffle bag. The biggest advantage is that I can stay warm and not have to deal with all the bulky clothes when trying to shoot my rifle, and I stay dry.
All you really have to do is have items in mind that you want, watch the end of season sales and several other forums/sites already mentioned to get the items at 50% off in most cases. Yes it is till expensive, but it last and keeps me warm, dry and wicks sweat away.
I keep hearing about the ozonics but have not made that plunge yet.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Guys who are using Sitka around here....what specific jackets and pants are you using? I've thought about getting some, but I always felt like that stuff would be to warm around here....plus damn dude that stuff is expensive.

Anyone tried First Lite?

·
Super Moderator
12,564 Posts
Guys who are using Sitka around here....what specific jackets and pants are you using? I've thought about getting some, but I always felt like that stuff would be to warm around here....plus damn dude that stuff is expensive.

Anyone tried First Lite?
I have the equinox series pants and jacket, and a stratus jacket for when it is below 40. From everything I've read, the fanatic jacket is the one to get, it was out of stock at the time for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts