Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is bizarre.

so I have twin 200 4-strokes on my boat and one died in a big way,
I repowered and it left me with one running motor from the old set.

I have a single motor boat with a 2-stroke and it was dead so I thought...HEY I can put the remaining good 4-stroke on my boat and It'll be running too but I wasn't sure if the 2-stroke and 4-stroke would be compatible wiring/binnacle.

the dealership...yes I said DEALERSHIP that repowered my boat said "absolutely will work...we do it all the time!" I asked ARE YOU SURE..."YEP!"

$200 ...I said "that's ALL??" Yep...they swap right over...it'll take a week because we're backed up.
4 weeks later I'm asking "where's my boat?" I finally received a text and I will quote it EXACTLY " We are done with it only after we went to crank it your down switch on the trim button cranks it battery needs to be charged and I'm having my girl clean it up...come get it"

WHHHHATTTT??

so I said "you did fix the ignition right??"

to which he said "No sir, someone had spliced a WHOLE BUNCH of wires"

well, that wasn't true because a dealership installed the 2 stroke many years ago as a new motor...wiring harness, binnacle and all

anyway. I went to get it and they were VERY pissy with me. I had them sell my 2 junk motors (the dead 4-stroke and the dead 2 stroke"
they told me they got $500 for the pair...not much but something and I had no where to store them.

anyway I get there and they guy doesn't even acknowledge they sold the motors (even though they were gone and his partner had already told me they got $500 for them)

I asked were my money for my motors was and he said, "They didn't want to give us anything for them" (the key is they didn't WANT to)

anyway, I said well call your partner to which he said, My partner already told me to give you $200 (I'm assuming they were arbitrarily charging an extra 100 for the headache)

anyway I said he told me $300 ( I would've given them the whoe $500 if they'd just been honest with me) he got REAL pissy so I tried the key it turned over as it should so I left.

now, I finally get to run it (I KNOW...I KNOW...shoulda ran it there but he was a BIG ANGRY DUDE)

I went to run it and the binnacle doesn't correctly shift it (I'm suspecting the 2stroke binnacle has a different throw length than the 4stroke) and after about 100 yards I started seeing smoke like electrical burning coming out of the cowling...

OH...add to that...the pee tube that you normally use as a visual inspection to see if your waterpump is generally functioning...it wasn't peeing so I went to figure THAT out and they'd DUMPED the pee tumbing out the front of the wiring harness and onto the deck of the boat!!

long of the short of it...it probably would be a waste of time going back to this DEALERSHIP because they're clearly morons. but does anyone on here know for sure that a 2stroke wiring harness and binnacle will or will not work with a 4 stroke? 4 stroke is a 2003 and the 2stroke is a 2001

thanks

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
The brand of engines you are asking about would be a useful piece of info.

Reactions: X-Shark

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Shit in a bag, set it on fire, and ring their doorbell. Go hide and watch.

Reactions: MrFish and MaxxT

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Yes, the engine will swap right over, binnacle , key switch is the same, depending on the gauge there is a switch on the back to swap from 2 to 4 stroke.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't really believe them when they said it was that easy but I DO however believe you Kenny.

so my question is WHAT could they have done that now causes the 4Stroke to start smoking from the rear center (sorta between the Cylinder heads) and why would they have ran the pee tube out of the engine and onto the deck of the boat?

OH WAIT...the 4 Stroke HAD a water pressure gauge in the console...that probably is just where they cut off the pressure gauge (they used the 2 stroke gauges which don't work by the way)

they should've at least capped the pressure tube when they cut it off.

Yes, the engine will swap right over, binnacle , key switch is the same, depending on the gauge there is a switch on the back to swap from 2 to 4 stroke.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
I didn't really believe them when they said it was that easy but I DO however believe you Kenny.

so my question is WHAT could they have done that now causes the 4Stroke to start smoking from the rear center (sorta between the Cylinder heads) and why would they have ran the pee tube out of the engine and onto the deck of the boat?

OH WAIT...the 4 Stroke HAD a water pressure gauge in the console...that probably is just where they cut off the pressure gauge (they used the 2 stroke gauges which don't work by the way)

they should've at least capped the pressure tube when they cut it off.
Can’t answer that, morons possibly. Is it steam smoking, or electrical smoking.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts