Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night while getting gas in my Tundra, the starter went out. Towed it to the house and today spent all day on it and still don’t have it out. What a nightmare of a job. You have to go through the passenger wheel well, remove all kinds of heat shields, the manifold, the dipstick, etc. Book rate is 4-9 hours. It still isn’t done.

Attachments

·
Apex
1,365 Posts
Don't the Tundras have GM's old 5.7 motor? If so you can get up underneath and replace it fairly easy.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
That really sucks Spooney. I sure hope you got some Jack stands under that thing ! I know several people that have met their maker while working under a vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
That's how they are making all the vehicles. So you have to take them in for service at a dealer or repair shop. I just changed the fuel filter on my cummins 2016. Diesel. Wasn't as bad as that starter but everythin above it is placed to make it hard to get to. And there is a second water replacable filter over the rear axle. My next truck will be gas. Sure wish they had the old reliable inline 6 cylinder gas. V engines suck, my opinion only.

Reactions: SHunter

·
Wolfgang
257 Posts
Spooney, I sure hope you checked the starter relay already.
Definitely...and the battery connections, ground cable and the status of the battery itself.
And if it really IS the starter, most of the time you can replace the contacts in the solenoid and you will be better off than getting a garbage reman from twilight-zone.
The 2UZ-FE starter is under the intake btw.

·
Registered
12,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I’m 99% sure it’s the starter. Battery is fully charged. Turn the key and hear 1 click and the dash lights go out. Sounds like the contacts are bad. I would just replace the contacts but there’s nobody in town to get them from and I need it done today.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Damn that picture gives me the willies with you sitting upright in that wheel well and hub in your lap.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts