Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went on Lickety-Split's wahoo trip yesterday. It started glass smooth but about 15 miles (i'm guessing) it just got too rough, so we headed in. He could very easily have just dropped us at the dock, but decided to stop short and drop for some snapper. I REALLY appreciate that, because I had gone trough ALOT of trouble to get down there to fish. We made a few stops, but caught nothing. It had calmed a little, so we went a little father out to a couple of sites, and man were they hitting. That poor deckhand. There was really no point that there was not a fish in the boat! We got 10 legal snapper, probably 50 or so that had to be let go, Submariner caught a couple of Lanes, and a couple of triggers. I side hooked a trigger and thought that I REALLY had something. What a fight! Redlegs caught all of his on the same piece of Bonita skin all day. They were hitting so good, it didn't matter what you dropped on them! Cigars, squid, bonita... I even caught one on a pinfish that got puked up by one of my snappers...:letsdrink DaleS caught some too, but he is so quiet that I never heard him with one on. Redleg's son, "Showboat" JohnJohn (I think) really put on the show though. He stayed bowed up ont he rod and grunting. I told the capt'n that he was the perfect photo op to promote the boat! I think he caught more than the rest of us put together! Hell, half of the time he had TWO on!!! And every one looked like it was going to be a IFGA world record contnder! I intended to take lost of pics, but ended up not having time. I did get a few though. Oh, and Happy birthday "showboat"! And thanks to Submariner for donating a shade hat to replce my brand new one that got blown off my head on one of those 50-60mph burst coming back in. It had my lucky fly fishing fly on the bill too!

I'll post pics in a little while...

4,058 Posts
NoMoSurf (10/21/2007) And every one looked like it was going to be a IFGA world record contnder!
so a bunch of yall's snapper went 35+ pounds?

nice little "rebound" trip. hate that the seas werent workin out for yall guys, i even PMed brandon the spots we've been slayin some wahoo at recently. oh well...those fish will be around for awhile...and even when they're gone, they'll be just over in venice.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Blue Hoo (10/21/2007)
NoMoSurf (10/21/2007) And every one looked like it was going to be a IFGA world record contnder!
No I meant that he was making quite a show out of every fish that he caught. We spent the rest of the day calling him "showboat". No 35+ pounders. All keepers were minimum legal to 2-3 inches more. Anyway it made the trip worth coming down.

Brandon said he may try to schedule another trip, but I just dont think I will be able to afford it. I'm gonna try though. I really want to catch a hoo, or something fast enough to make a reel SCREAM!

·
Registered
516 Posts
NoMoSurf (10/21/2007)
No I meant that he was making quite a show out of every fish that he caught. We spent the rest of the day calling him "showboat". No 35+ pounders. All keepers were minimum legal to 2-3 inches more. Anyway it made the trip worth coming down.

Brandon said he may try to schedule another trip, but I just dont think I will be able to afford it. I'm gonna try though. I really want to catch a hoo, or something fast enough to make a reel SCREAM!

No 35 lbers. "Showboat" just made each one look like a horse on the way up. Kinda became a joke by the end of the halfday we converted the trip into. Glad you enjoyed snapper fishing but I wish I could have showed you something real special. Hey blue, I got a couple of other reports where some STUD wahoo are "no snakes" 50+ fish steady!!! Dont know how long they will be there though and crapy sea conditions for as long as I can see?

4,058 Posts
NoMoSurf (10/21/2007)

quote]

my bad, I guess I just misunderstood yall. Brandon-PM me where the hoos are at!! I know there are still some at the spots I told you, and at the Elbow, but where else!!?? Hell I'll bring you some venison, tuna, and wahoo next trip.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Way to save the trip guys... suprised to hear it was too rough, from the beach it looked beautiful sat! I was kicking myself for not going! Guess that North wind can fool ya from shore!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Was a hoot! Was disappointed that the seas turned us back, but that's october weather for you. Josh (Shoboat) thourhly enjoyed his first offshore trip (first time out past 5 miles, first time offshore fishing). I'll have to put up with the size of his head (ego) for a while *lol* He did slay the juvi's and put a few keepers on the boat.

Ack, I'm a pinfish again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts