Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Gas them tonight while they sleep. If you try to kill them during the day a bunch will be out foraging. Take a 20 oz coke bottle full of gas and dump it in the hole,plug the hole with the bottle. DO NOT BURN!!! The gas fumes will seep down in the nest and kill all of them. There is no spray made that I have found that works as good as a 20 oz bottle of gas. Again,gas them after dark!

·
Your mom's a
6,790 Posts
I can tell you this much; if you're ever using a machete to cut a path through the woods and you stumble across a hive of say 1,000,000,000 yellow jacket and they attack your earhole, make sure you put the machete down BEFORE you start swatting at you head and neck area.

Just saying.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
The magical distance that they will stop chasing you at....300 yards.
Yep!

My first time dealing with these stinging bastards was cutting line while surveying Mark...party chief came running up line looking like a horror movie covered in them...watched him drop machette, radio, field book and whatever he had on him only to stop by me...I swatted and swatted and then he kept running up line leaving a few to sting me...

such is life as a surveyor...

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I went to school at ashford! You from that neck of the woods?
Yes sir, grew up in cowarts or (avon) my wife is from pansy. I moved here in 83 had to move back to cowarts for highschool due to some troubles here.:whistling:...Have allot of good friends that still live there, as well as allot of family still living there.

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,139 Posts
I have a nest at the top of the frame of my front door for the last 3 months. About 2 feet away as I open the door. I can open the door and stare at them if I want in the middle of the day. The nest has gotten a lot bigger in the last couple weeks. (The picture shows young ones coming out that I never see in the day... usually the cells are all covered in white paper. COOL!

We have an agreement. I don't screw with them, they don't screw with me.

Here they are, 5 minutes ago from 8 inches away..

What did you do to piss them off? Clearing weeds or trash and you didn't see them is a legit reason.

Truly you can generally leave them alone and they will leave you alone.

Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Jim, those are what I 've always called quinea wasps. Very painful sting, much worse than a yellow jackets and it doesn't take a whole lot ot piss em off... Granted, it does take more to disturb them than it does the irritable littel turd yellow jacket... I'll see if I can find the proper name for your wasp and post the difference if someone doesn't beat me to it...

I have a nest at the top of the frame of my front door for the last 3 months. About 3 feet away as I open the door.

We have an agreement. I don't screw with them, they don't screw with me.

Here they are, 5 minutes ago from 8 inches away..

What did you do to piss them off? Clearing weeds or trash and you didn't see them is a legit reason.

Truly you can generally leave them alone and they will leave you alone.

Jim

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
One of the rotten little shits broke two of my ribs one time while I was fishing. It was in my face and I started flailing away with my ballcap in my signature figure eight pattern, hooked the butt of my rod, flipped it over the side, made a dive to save the rod, and the gunnel did the rest.

My Dad laughed so hard he ran out of air.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
One of the rotten little shits broke two of my ribs one time while I was fishing. It was in my face and I started flailing away with my ballcap in my signature figure eight pattern, hooked the butt of my rod, flipped it over the side, made a dive to save the rod, and the gunnel did the rest.

My Dad laughed so hard he ran out of air.
I damned near ran out of air reading it. like getting away from a snake....lololol

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Red Wasps and Yellow Jackets are 2 different critters. Yellow Jackets usually build nests in the ground and are very aggressive.
I left a tractor in the woods for several days after an encounter. Over 60 stings, and was very sick for a while. If I would of been allergic, I would be worm dirt now. Hate Um!

·
Blue man fishing Inc.
1,418 Posts
What Jim has I just always called "paper wasps" and one shot of spectracide and they will drop in seconds. I killed 3 nests in my front yard day before yesterday. The only reason I killed them is because I have a 5 year old daughter. If it was just me here I think I'd have just left them. I don't bother them and they don't bother me. They are actually good pest control.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Gas them tonight while they sleep. If you try to kill them during the day a bunch will be out foraging. Take a 20 oz coke bottle full of gas and dump it in the hole,plug the hole with the bottle. DO NOT BURN!!! The gas fumes will seep down in the nest and kill all of them. There is no spray made that I have found that works as good as a 20 oz bottle of gas. Again,gas them after dark!
we buy this by the case

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I can tell you this much; if you're ever using a machete to cut a path through the woods and you stumble across a hive of say 1,000,000,000 yellow jacket and they attack your earhole, make sure you put the machete down BEFORE you start swatting at you head and neck area.

Just saying.
sounds like you speak from experience.

had a buddy who got one inside his ear. he started rolling on the ground beating himself in the head. couldnt walk for a few days.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts