Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
central florida refugee
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hostile1 myself and another buddy are gonna load up my camper and boat n spend next fri.sat. n sun. at the rivers edge rv park and hunt the river around holt. ive never been on that section of the river before. we plan on doing some scouting early friday and hopefully finding some spots worth sitting.........might any of ya'll have a pointer or two for some river hunting newbies ??

·
Registered
14,771 Posts
hostile1 myself and another buddy are gonna load up my camper and boat n spend next fri.sat. n sun. at the rivers edge rv park and hunt the river around holt. ive never been on that section of the river before. we plan on doing some scouting early friday and hopefully finding some spots worth sitting.........might any of ya'll have a pointer or two for some river hunting newbies ??
If I was a deer - id be worried
Here's a tip - don't forget your warm clothes!!!
Good luck and keep us updated!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

·
Registered
497 Posts
SWB....
First, any land on the south side of the river is Eglin Reservation........ going up/down river from River's edge campground look for low bank areas ,where deer swim the river, you will see their tracks...hike inland and scout for rubs and scrapes.
One of the largest bucks I have seen was on the Yellow River, south of Wilkerson's Bluff. We were electro-fishing for striped bass in late Feb. This buck,along with two does were laying down watching us as we drift by their bedding area. He got up and slowly bounded off. Would have been a seventy five yard shot.............

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Are going to hunt the Eglin side? If I was going to stay a few days I would hunt Eglin. There are a lot of hogs across the river from the mouth of Guess Lake to the bleachers. The YRMA both up and down from the campground is hunted regularly.

·
central florida refugee
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no Billyb none of us have our eglin permits this year were planning on staying on YRMA and Flounder thank you sir thats the kind of info i was looking for

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
SWB....
First, any land on the south side of the river is Eglin Reservation........ going up/down river from River's edge campground look for low bank areas ,where deer swim the river, you will see their tracks...hike inland and scout for rubs and scrapes.
One of the largest bucks I have seen was on the Yellow River, south of Wilkerson's Bluff. We were electro-fishing for striped bass in late Feb. This buck,along with two does were laying down watching us as we drift by their bedding area. He got up and slowly bounded off. Would have been a seventy five yard shot.............
Did you guys find a decent population of stripers around there?

·
Registered
497 Posts
jcoss15....we did find stripers on the yellow river.. In spring summer and fall. Summer time, any large creek( Boiling,Metts, Malon , Titi..... flowing off Eglin AFB property into the river, creating a thermal refuge, has a fair number of adult fish. Although we concentrate on the Blackwater River ( diversiona area...downstream of Deaton Brdg. ) in the spring for collection of broodfish. It is easier for us to collect the adults on Blackwater.
I will say the largest striped bass in area waters I have seen 33 lbs was caught on yellow river....11 years old. A hatchery raised fish.
Back to hunting.......

·
central florida refugee
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok heres the run down we got in friday eve set up the camper and got up river for some scouting. we had a couple spots on the map that looked promising so we went straight to them, jumped two deer and found plenty of sign (hog rootings hooked up trees and big buck tracks) everywhere. we all found spots and sat that evening with no success. we headed back to camp at dark which was an adventure in itself with a dim light on a dark river. saturday morning we were heading out and virgil offered jason to trade spots with him and i believe jasons response involved "s"ing his "d" lol. the morning started great with a text from jason saying a guy with a gun and dog was headed my way and sure as heck he showed up right under me about 20 minutes later so i texted virgil n told him to hold tight a guy n dog was moving his way and he may push something out for him. as the guy moved past me towards virgil BOOM BOOM BOOM !!!! bout 3 minutes later virgil sends me a pic of a buck down says its a broke off 4 i sat out the rest of my hunt before easing his way only to find out that his first buck ever was a nice little 8pt with a broke g2 !!! we sat saturday eve with no success. sunday morn rolls around i wake up at 4:00 to pouring rain which then sounded like the shower so i rolled over to see no light coming from the bathroom when i stood up i was in an inch of standing water and the camper was flooded WTF soo sunday morning was spent sopping up water and trying to dry out my father in laws camper as best we could before he came to pick it up instead of hunting, im sure bucky longhorns made his rounds through all our spots this morning lol but overall the trip was a blast V got his first buck we spent a weekend out of the house we did bout destroy a camper but thats what insurance is for so all is well

·
Registered
20 Posts
Man that is awesome! I have been wanting to take boat and hunt off the rivers but have yet to it . Next year for sure... love those cypress trees in the swamp..

·
Registered
415 Posts
Wasn't a chocolate lab with orange collar was it? I was scouting a wood duck hole this past weekend and heard a couple shots close by...never saw a boat though.

·
central florida refugee
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wasn't a chocolate lab with orange collar was it? I was scouting a wood duck hole this past weekend and heard a couple shots close by...never saw a boat though.
yeah buddy thats the one lol our boat was around the bend from where you pulled up when you were looking into that big grass flat i was sitting to your right

·
Registered
415 Posts
Pretty spot for sure. Sorry for walkin in on y'all...had no clue. Thanks for not shootin my pup, and tell your friend your welcome for jumpin his deer to him (joking) I know right where he jumped him, he hit another gear and I had to call him back. Wasn't 2 min after that I heard the shots. Sorry again man. Was actually thinkin about goin back to deer hunt it, didn't see much hog sign, and no people sign (rare for that area) and plenty of buck sign. Pretty work on the harvest!

·
central florida refugee
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
no problem man it happens..........i was really surprised at how much traffic there is in that area. and ill be sure to tell him you said your welcome lol

1 - 20 of 27 Posts