Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of stacked plastic chairs in my yard. Noticed yesterday a little yellow guy landing, then going in between the 2 chairs. My suspicion proved true when I made a running pass by the chairs and knocked them on purpose, out came at least a dozen yellow jackets.
Nighttime stealth attack on the nest, the size of a baseball, all yellow jackets dead, and no stings for me.
Beware of places that you haven’t used in a while, never know what’s underneath or inside!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Nice. I like to pour the gas in, let it sit for a few minutes and throw a match in for effect. Just don't be in front of the hole when the thing detonates.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Am I the only one that enjoys finding a yellow jacket nest, taking off my clothes and stirring them up so that they sting me all over my naked body?

I figured everyone did that.

·
Praedator
10,076 Posts
I usually find their underground nest with my lawn mower when it feels like someone hit me with a baseball bat as hard as possible!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
736 Posts
I’ve found enough that I don’t want to ever find anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I've been battling cicada killer wasps that keep burrowing under my back stairs and swarming anytime someone uses them. Huge beasts. Wouldn't want to be stung by one of them.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
I've been battling cicada killer wasps that keep burrowing under my back stairs and swarming anytime someone uses them. Huge beasts. Wouldn't want to be stung by one of them.
I first saw one of those 3 years ago...all I could say was "Holy $/-/!+."
Looks like it came from 3 Mile Island, Chernobyl or a mad scientist's lab.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I usually find their underground nest with my lawn mower when it feels like someone hit me with a baseball bat as hard as possible!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Years ago I got stung while cutting the grass - two times in a row. I found the nest, put an old screen over it and poured some gas into the hole. I waited a bit and added a match. It was quite satisfying.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I haven't been stung in months, until this morning. I had to climb and dismantle and a smaller live oak. I set my climbing line, had it clipped in to my climbing saddle, threw my lanyard around the tree, clipped it into the D-rings and was about to start climbing when I felt that unmistakeable fire on the back of my legs. As the yellow cloud rose upward, I scrambled to unclip myself and hobble away in full gear. My legs took the brunt of the attack, probably a dozen stings with only one on my upper body, in the back of my hand. I had dark blue pants on and a hi-vis yellow long sleeved shirt on. I don't remember seeing one even land on the yellow but smashed clumps of them on my pants that were trying to drill through after I hopped away from the nest. It's hard to believe that was a coincidence. It makes me think they're like yellow flies and have an eye for dark colors.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I haven't been stung in months, until this morning. I had to climb and dismantle and a smaller live oak. I set my climbing line, had it clipped in to my climbing saddle, threw my lanyard around the tree, clipped it into the D-rings and was about to start climbing when I felt that unmistakeable fire on the back of my legs. As the yellow cloud rose upward, I scrambled to unclip myself and hobble away in full gear. My legs took the brunt of the attack, probably a dozen stings with only one on my upper body, in the back of my hand. I had dark blue pants on and a hi-vis yellow long sleeved shirt on. I don't remember seeing one even land on the yellow but smashed clumps of them on my pants that were trying to drill through after I hopped away from the nest. It's hard to believe that was a coincidence. It makes me think they're like yellow flies and have an eye for dark colors.
That sounds painful. One sting hurts like the dickens. I can't imagine a dozen.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Been very fortunate not to get stung by those things since I was a kid. The closest I've come was about 5 years ago I arrowed a doe in GA. She went about 30 yds from my tree and fell right over into what must have been a huge nest because they completely swarmed her as she was kicking her last. Needless to say, I waited a good while after dark before retrieving her. I could feel several of the little turds whistle by me when I went to recover her, but I came away unscathed. Didn't seem to hurt the meat any...

·
Super Moderator
28,614 Posts
Wasps are THE DEVIL! "mamma"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts