Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Yamaha 40hp (f40BTLR) 4 stroke. On a recent outing the overheating horn went off. I immediately looked back to see if the engine was peeing out back and it was not, so I shut down the engine.

The next day I pulled the foot off and found the impeller was completely destroyed. All the fins were gone and only the center hub was in place. So I have to assume all the impeller pieces are now in the motor cooling passages.

So is there a way to back flush the engine cooling passages short of tearing the engine apart?

Many thanks in advance for your comments.

Eastbayboy

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
3,077 Posts
Yeah I do the same ^^^, pull the thermostat, put the housing back on, then put pee tube into water hose and flush while the foot is still off.

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,986 Posts
If you're really lucky, most of them are stuck in the tube leading up to the head.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Impeller pieces still in motor.

Thanks for the insight!!

I pulled the thermostat and the foot off the motor. Then put the water hose up to the thermostat and back flushed the cooling path. A few pieces of impeller came out but not nearly enough for all the impeller blades. What happened was water was flowing out the pee tube and out the water intake from the impeller. I also put the water hose up the water intact from the impeller and turn on the hose. I was getting water out of the thermostat and out the pee tube.

Any ideas on where to go from here?? I sure there are still impeller pieces in the motor.

Thanks Eastbayboy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts