Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Grady 232 /twin 150's. I fished the bay the last 2 days , no problems. I throttled up coming back in yesterday and RPM's started falling on port engine, it would not go over 3700. By the time I reached the ramp the starboard engine was beginning to sound and act the same way. Water in fuel ?, Fouled plugs ? I am going to take it in but wanting to see if anyone has experienced similar problem. Thanks

·
Praedator
10,048 Posts
I am assuming your boat has a single gas tank???? If the same symptoms, like you describe, started to happen to both engines; that would lend me to suspect water in the fuel. Have you tried running it at home on the muffs since then? If so, what happend? Do you have a water seperator on there? If not, WHY NOT!!!!!!!! Have you checked the seperator for water??? Full of questions here.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got in late last night. Pulled the cowl yesterdaywater separator looked fine( doesn't mean much). Someone suggested fuel pump, high/ low pressure. Just trying get some opinions before they stick it to me! It has a single 150 gallon tank.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I don't know the exact parameters (rpm)but it kind of sounds like the safety feature built into the Yamaha 4 strokes computer that's throttling the engines back to prevent damage because of an engine fault.

·
Praedator
10,048 Posts
But for the same thing to happen to both engines on the same trip, I would lean towards something that both engines share, like fuel. Just throwing out my idea based on what's given.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My first guess would also be something fuel related. However, most 4 strokes are very voltage sensitive as well so make sure your batteries are good. You can detach your fuel line at the racor and drop it into a 1-2 gallon fuel tank and run the engines off fresh fuel and see if that helps. You may also be looking at an ethanol problem. Keep track of where you buy your fuel as you may find certain mfg. have more ethanol in the fuel than others. Texas has had so many ethanol problems that Mercury came out with an ethanol update kit for the Verados that is pretty much only installed in Texas where it is needed. Check your spark plugs to eliminate the easy stuff first, then try the fuel jug. If the engines have gone into a "safe" mode turning the key off will usually clear it. You may also want to momentarily disconnect the batter cables to make sure the code is cleared. I am betting ethanol or water is your issue. If running the engines on an auxiliary tank clears the problem I would use lots of fuel stabilizer and purchase my fuel at a different location. Good luck.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good luck.... to you too man. Itlooks likeyou service Yamaha's ,(w/the emblem and all). Thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to use you next time when I need linkage adjustments,corrosion blocks changed ,impellers replaced, props fine tuned, Tilt and trim indicators fixed/adjusted ,the bird in one motor thats squeeking removed,infomation whetherI need a prop uprade or not.700 hrs on each in 2 years , serviced as required.The thing is, I was looking to change, now... maybe not. But thanks to your friend I did save 178.00 and change.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts