Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the boat out today to give it a good run.(fun) Had a good run until one of the motors sounded just a little different. By the time I could chop the throttle it was knocking away. Got it shut down(and that's right when the warning horn went off)and limped back in on one motor. Got home, popped the engine cowling off and noticed some metal shavings lying around. After further inspection, noticed that I now had a new cooling hole in my block where I chunked a connecting rod. (not fun)

Took a look at the engine mounted oil tank and it was dry....my remote tank still had plenty of oil in it...wasn't surprised at that. Haven't had a chance to get out there and check anything else out to see if it was oil pump or an electrical problem.

my question.....easier to rebuild or better to replace? If so, who or where do you guys recommend? And this is the first two stroke that I have not done premix on....does anyone recommend getting rid of the pumps and doing premix? THe boat is a 31 foot center console, 200 plus fuel capacity. By the way, the motors are carbed Yamaha 225 two strokes. Great motors right up until today.

Gary

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Dang Gary hate to hear about your bad luck. On the good side you made it in and all are ok.Can't help you on the advice sought but stick around and the forum experts will help you out soon.

·
Registered
9,815 Posts
If you are going to get a new one try the Sports Center in Perry Ga. No tax to pay and you can make the trip in one Full Day. Best prices I have found i've bought three engines from them.

http://www.thesportscenter.com/

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Going to start my own reef building project with one slightly used, blown up Yamaha 225. Still want you guys to tell me if you recommend premixing to prevent this from happening next time.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
parrothead001 (10/22/2007)Going to start my own reef building project with one slightly used, blown up Yamaha 225. Still want you guys to tell me if you recommend premixing to prevent this from happening next time.
I would recommend staying with the oil injection. With actually seeing it, my guess is you have a faulty float sensor in the main (eng) tank. That is the switch that tells the system to refill and the switch that triggers the alarm, neither of witch happened. I am guessing,a gain, that the alarm you heard just before you shut it down was overtemp.

·
FastCast Custom Rods
1,069 Posts
parrothead001 (10/22/2007)Going to start my own reef building project with one slightly used, blown up Yamaha 225. Still want you guys to tell me if you recommend premixing to prevent this from happening next time.
I can only say while I was in Mobile (1997-2002)we were going thru OMC 175's like they were disposable. They quit blowing up when we disabled the VRO and started premixing. At the time we weren't running Yamaha's so your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
[/quote]I can only say while I was in Mobile (1997-2002)we were going thru OMC 175's like they were disposable. They quit blowing up when we disabled the VRO and started premixing. At the time we weren't running Yamaha's so your mileage may vary.[/quote]

Yamaha and OMC are like apples and oranges. VRO- Very Rarely Operates I was told this by an OMC Dealer.

·
FastCast Custom Rods
1,069 Posts
VRO- Very Rarely Operates I was told this by an OMC Dealer.
No Doubt!

Like I said, "your mileage may vary". Personally I don't trust any of the oil injections systems, but that's only my opinion.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright,I got fat fingered on the keyboard and deleted all of my PM's that you guys sent regarding my motor and/or replacement. If you could resend them I won't do it again.(hopefully) Thanks.

Gary

1 - 10 of 10 Posts