Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
It's a new model. Much lighter that the V6 version of the 200HP and it's narrower so you can mount twins in the same tansom holes the Z200s used.
Design looks similar to the F150 with a little more displacement and added variable cam timing.
I'm sure ther's lots of info on Yamaha's web site

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right, and it's much lighter than a v6 200, I was just checking to see if anyone had purchased one yet.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I changed a 2 stroke OX66 200hp for a in-line four stroke 200 this summer. After two prop changes, it was dialed in right. Running it on a 21 ft. Kenner bay boat. Hole shot is good, and mid-range power is strong. 5900 rpm will push my boat a little better than 50mph thou it is seldom calm enough for that. The in-line makes a world of difference at the gas pump, so 70 gal goes a long way. Oh, QUIET, with NO SMOKE.:yes:

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've got a pair on a Cape 27xs. They have been great so far, about to get their 100 hour service with no issues (knock on wood). What info are you looking for?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm thinking it won't be long before I have to repower a 22ft Hydra Sport and I like the thought of the this motor. But, I will be a major purchase for me and my primary concern is longevity / reliability. I realize the motors are new and this is probably a unanswerable question at this time but I need for the motor to be good for 5,000 hours and it will take me many years to put that many hours on a motor.

My other question is that I want to purchase locally ( Baldwin Co / Pensacola )
who would offer the best price and service? Thanks for the info

·
Registered
90 Posts
Some people may shy away from the first year of any model engine, as there isn't much data to go off of ( I also scoured the internet for reviews). I decided to take a shot as I was also able to get 5 year warranties and my previous experiences with Yamaha have been much better than my last with Merc. I can't speak to the longevity but it has been very reliable so far. My last engines were Merc Optis, so comparing them wouldn't be fair, but personally I had quite a few issues with reliability, so this was my main concern going into this boat and I have been more than happy. I purchased these along with the boat from Sunrise Marine in Ft. Walton and they were great to work with. I had to wait a few months to get the motors, but well worth the finished product. As far as pricing goes, I would just call around to Yamaha dealers in the area and work yourself out a fair deal (I know you can repower through Sunrise, I've heard good things about Gulf Breeze Marine, and sure others on the forum can help you with other suggestions). Some may be able to find you one quicker than others. Your scenario is a bit different than mine as I was trading in and buying new. I can throw some performance numbers together if needed, and you are welcome to come take a look at mine if you'd like. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
452 Posts
My good friend put one on his new nautic star 22 te. I've fish with him once a week and it's a great engine! 35 mpg 4gph!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts