Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Irecently bought a 2000 Yamaha 115HP 2 stroke motor. Low hours, good compression. I want my motor to last for years to come. I recently replaced the water pump. My questions are:

Do I need to replace the fuel pump & oil pump eventually ? I heard to replace them every 10 years ?

When you turn the key on, you can hear the oil pump in the large tank run for maybe 30 +-seconds, then shuts off, is that normal ? The pump sounds smooth but maybe a little noisey, is that OK ?

On my 2 previous Evinrudes, they had thesystem checkwith the lights that would indicate the problem. This boat (2000 Sea Pro) does not have anything like that. Just a horn. Could something be added ?

Thanks in advance,,

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
pappastratos (11/05/2010)Irecently bought a 2000 Yamaha 115HP 2 stroke motor. Low hours, good compression. I want my motor to last for years to come. I recently replaced the water pump. My questions are:

Do I need to replace the fuel pump & oil pump eventually ? I heard to replace them every 10 years ?

When you turn the key on, you can hear the oil pump in the large tank run for maybe 30 +-seconds, then shuts off, is that normal ? The pump sounds smooth but maybe a little noisey, is that OK ?

On my 2 previous Evinrudes, they had thesystem checkwith the lights that would indicate the problem. This boat (2000 Sea Pro) does not have anything like that. Just a horn. Could something be added ?

Thanks in advance,,
This is actually a very good engine, has a long life.. you will need to replace the fuel pump at some point. they have a diaphram that will deterioate, the oil pump should be ok. it is mechanical and drivin by the crankshaft.

the oil pump should not run at key on, should only come on when the remote oil tank switch tells it to,

you can get Yamaha analog gauges that have a oil light and over heat light in them but the main function will come out of the key switch. this is where the horn for the alarm is..

please feel free to give me a call, and i can talk to you about your engine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts