Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we get home today after multi drs appts and the flats out back look pretty good. Then, something starts busting bait. Drug out the yak, took a Badonkadonk, a Vudu Mullet, and a Skitter walk in a baggie (and a pair of pliers).

Forgot how easy the yak is. 10 minutes and ready to fish.

Question: If you have only 5 lures to take which would they be?

·
Kayak Fishing Guide
1,810 Posts
1.) Soft Plastic Paddle tail on an 1/8 oz quality jig head. One of my favorite:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436845293.711205.jpg

2.) Suspending Jerkbait / Twitchbait

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436845418.026082.jpg

3.) Topwater

I would post a picture but there's a Jack swimming around in the sound with my favorite topwater. If anyone finds a Livingston Lures Walking Boss let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
208 Posts
1.) Soft Plastic Paddle tail on an 1/8 oz quality jig head. One of my favorite:

View attachment 545761

2.) Suspending Jerkbait / Twitchbait

View attachment 545769

3.) Topwater

I would post a picture but there's a Jack swimming around in the sound with my favorite topwater. If anyone finds a Livingston Lures Walking Boss let me know.
I would just want to make sure I had all levels of the water column covered, which the above does very well, assuming that paddle tail is going to be bounced along the bottom.

·
Kayak Fishing Guide
1,810 Posts
I would just want to make sure I had all levels of the water column covered, which the above does very well, assuming that paddle tail is going to be bounced along the bottom.

Great thing about the paddle tail is how versatile it can be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
591 Posts
I fish three lures, if I can't get anything to eat with them, I go home.

1) Mirrolure twitchbait, aka my search-and-destroy lure. I locate where fish are holding with this lure.

2) Soft plastic + jighead. My go-to here is usually Gulp. I bought a bunch of packs for super-cheap about a year ago and haven't burned through them yet.

3) Gold spoon. If the first two fail, then the gold spoon is my last resort. It rarely fails me.

·
Registered
421 Posts
People seem to converge on the same thing.
17 MR and jig heads with soft plastics

The soft plastics I fish are usually either gulp shrimp (color new penny) or gulp white grubtails. I also like paddle tail soft plastics
I keep a bone colored topwater for early mornings, and a gold spoon.

Youtube has videos to show you how to hook the soft plastic properly.
Use 15-20 lb flouro leader too, tie it to the lures using a canoe mans loop for better action

·
Registered
201 Posts
I like to use vortex/matrix soft plastics... 17mr... spook jr... gold spoon.. rapala skitters... and I have had good sucess with the vudu mullet as well.

·
Panhandle Yeti
67 Posts
1. ZARA SPOOK (black/silver/blue stripe) 2. Rattle trap (Char/white) 3. Smithwick Rogue (Clown) 4. Red head jig with DOA minnow (Black/silver) 5. Shimano waxwing (Char/white)

·
Registered
453 Posts
go to

1. Lemon head matrix shad on 1/2oz head in the bay, 1/8oz on flatts

2. 17mr in electric chicken with added pink feathered rear treble

3 chartreuse 8" curly tail with 1oz head in bay, 4" with 1/8 oz on flatts.

I still have mixed feelings on the vudu and gulp shrimps. Sometimes they work good and others not so much. The 3 I listed always work under the lights or early morning

1 - 14 of 14 Posts