Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
So...using your methodology, I can shoot at all the people I want, as long as I don't hit them. I'm a good shot and if I wanted to hit someone I could, so it should be okay.
You can't control a bullet once it leaves the barrel but you can definitely control a ling jig. You can stop it anytime you wish. Your analogy is not revelant. In forty years of pier fishing I have seen some pier anglers hit boats with their jigs, (which again I do not agree with), but I have never seen an individual in a boat, kayak, surfboard, ever get hit. I did see a scuba diver get hooked by a jig, but that was done purposely and the guy on the pier was arrested, and rightfully so.

·
Super Moderator
19,477 Posts
You can't control a bullet once it leaves the barrel but you can definitely control a ling jig. You can stop it anytime you wish. Your analogy is not revelant. In forty years of pier fishing I have seen some pier anglers hit boats with their jigs, (which again I do not agree with), but I have never seen an individual in a boat, kayak, surfboard, ever get hit. I did see a scuba diver get hooked by a jig, but that was done purposely and the guy on the pier was arrested, and rightfully so.
What if the line snaps or the knot comes lose? Can you control it then?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
What if the line snaps or the knot comes lose? Can you control it then?
No you could not control the jig. I have actually seen that happen on many occasions and the jig even travels much faster which would make it even more lethal. That is just one of the several reasons I don't throw at boats. With all that said, you guys that have never pier fished have no idea just how accurate these guys are. (even at long range). Yes splittine is correct, your line could snap during the cast, which does occasionally happen on long casts, and could potentially do harm to a boater. But I have never, ever, seen a person get hit and I have spent as many days on the pier as anyone. I also do alot of boat fishing and always steer way away from the pier to avoid that type of confrontation.

·
OOK
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I don't think I'm slow lol :)

i understand the 300 foot rule but if u hit me with anything im gonna come up there and beat ur ass and if dont hit me and i can grab ur line im gonna peddle my hobie still i spool you. last friday someone chunked one at me off navarre pier as i was fixing a line and got to close but was still very far off. you lucky u didnt come close.

Ok to clarify, I don't think I'm slow but that is subjective. Some might disagree :)

As for purposely crossing into active fishing, no I did not. As for accurately throwing jigs and lures....sure I get it. I assure everyone that when 5 or so "Rats" pick up the longest rods they have and you hear them squeal as if chasing a greased pig while others are correcting fire ( ie in that Larry the Cable Guy tone...." NOOOOOO you sum bitch ya hit behind him or Looky hur I'll ketch his ace with my Surf rod" ) they were not combat fishing for kings or a cobia!

I was far enough away that I couldn't see facial detail and had to Id by the orange hunting caps:)

Yes I agree the Gulf is WIDE OPEN but is it really necessary or legal to mess with the slow kids on kayaks?

Thanks for the input/ comments.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Wirelessly posted

My earlier thread about staying Ur distance was that I was concerned with your safety...kayaking and boating could be dangerous. Those people (pier rats) are very proficient with weighted jigs, and if three of them was to treble you with there Shark rods with 80 lb power pro and started reeling you in, you might make there drag sing a little, but you'll tire quickly. The native Americans use to have ceremonials, where hooks were skewered through the skin and the live body was hoisted up. So I was envisioning you being hoisted up legs kicking attached to three rods. All those rednecks laughing and pointing, got un nother one of them yackers...

Thats just plain funny. :laughing:, I think youve been watching a Man called Horse.

On a serious note both parties should act responsibily towards one another. Best advice if in doubt its best not to do it.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
You don't have to agree but with 40 plus years of pier fishing experience I can guarantee they can prevent a lure from hitting a kayak or anything else. I could throw a jig directly at a person sitting in a kayak, (which I would never do), and if I saw that the jig was going to hit the person, then I could easily brake the reel with my finger and let the lure fall short. Any experienced pier fishermen on this forum would agree with me. I do not, however; speak for the novice pier angler.
Ok what if the line snaps and your jig that you were stoping short hits him in the head and he dies? YOU GO TO PRISION FOR LIFE AND I HOPE YOU BUNK WITH BUBBA.

·
Mines Bigger
2,645 Posts
I know someone who ruined his whole life for making one dumb decision to throw single quarter at someone who cut him off. They called it a deadly missile and that don't sound good in court, lost his scholarship and really is just now getting his stuff together from all the probation and fines he had to pay. It's not a joke and someone can get hurt and someone can get locked up or both. I have a hot head sometime but gotta tell yourself it's not worth it.

·
PDC Fishing Team
1,970 Posts
I think the PC term is "pier rats"....Don't want anyone getting offended over being called an idiot!
Holy crap this is hilarious!

"I'm a rat, not an idiot!" :thumbup:

ok then....

·
Registered
645 Posts
I was at OIP and we had some kayakers on a rental think it would be cool to go under the pier. All that happened was some people yelled at them that they need to turn around and that they were breaking the law and could possibly get tangled in someones line and get hurt. They turned around and we went back to fishing.

Why is that so hard???

·
PrettyAwesomeWhiteGuy
1,503 Posts
I hear all this talk of going after someone on the pier. Even a lion knows enough to stay away from a pack of Jackles.
I've seen it happen too many times over the years...the 'jackals' always turn on each other and start pointing fingers. There are a lot of honest people on the piers, but always a few a-holes that ruin it for everyone...same with boaters and kayakers. Some people are just d1cks:laughing:

21 - 40 of 58 Posts