Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a good Weatherby Mark V Magnum ( 9 lug) stock . . In the middle of a rebarrel project and just realized the new barrel is going to be way to fat for the barrel channel in the stock. Yes I can open it up. however it's composite and don't really want to fool with it. If any one upgraded theirs Even if you have an old shot out mark V laying around with a good stock or refinish able.. thanks for the help guys!!

·
Banned
3,674 Posts
You are going to have to know which barrel contour you have before you can get a stock to fit it. Right now, you haven't mentioned the caliber. Weatherby has barrel contours number #1 thru #4. Outside diameter of each is different.

When you say 9 lug stock, what are you referring to?

If you are talking about a 9 lug, locking action, I'm not sure what that has to do with the stock.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a custom contour , I say that because I bought it used and i'm pretty sure it is not in the 1-4 category , pretty darn close to a #3 I would say. I don't have it here to measure the chamber to barrel couture. Mark v came in two different configurations 6 lug bolt they used for non magnum chambering (30-06, .270, .338-06, .243) then a 9 lug version for all of there magnums and other belted mags. ( .300 win mag , anything that has Weatherby in the name). Not I have never measured a 6 lug , but when looking at the stock web sites it always has a different part number for a 6 lug vs 9. they very well could be the same size. IT sounds like you have some experience with this sort of thing. So any insight would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
21,209 Posts
You're gonna have a hard time finding a stock if you don't know what contour you are going to. I've opened up tons of stocks to accept a heavier barrel and if you are only going a size or 2 up its a lot easier to open the original stock. Chances are with an aftermarket barrel you will have to do so regardless. A deep well socket and sand paper makes easy work of it. Only a 2-3 beer job. And you don't measure the contour by the chamber it's on the outside profile of the barrel. Go to the barrel manufactures website and they will have a contour list there. How did you are a barrel if you don't know what contour it is? Did you relay on your smith to tell you what you wanted?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess the easy way of explaining this is ....I got a mark v for a song, the 7mm wb mag barrel attached to it was badly pitted...I found a used 300.wm barrel and got it for half a song. smith is making the two work . I didnt check the couture with the websites. I know it a much heaver barrel.. what I wanted cause I shoot 1-2 hundred rounds a month. the Stock that came with the gun is a crappy plastic stock , not a nice fiberglass or wood. I can make it work . I would rather find a wood stock and make it work. I was attempting to "fish" for a stock. knowing that most of them will be #1,or#2 and I can open them up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts