Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Working with a tiller on a tractor is a fabulous tool. You want the width to erase the tire tracks.

Since you have never used one.in The foot skids are adjustable....This controls the depth.

For seeding or laying sod..... You set those skids at the 2in mark....No deeper. This will till to 2in deep and get rid of grass and weeds at the top. If you till it deeper it will be a mess when you sod or seed it....It will get holes in it when you step foot to seed or sod.

Now for a garden Raise the skid/feet all the way....Lot's of folks will come back and put mounds in to plant on.

Tiller at 2in is also excllent for grading yards.....till 2in and then drag a Land Plane. Speaking of which....Forget the Box Blade.....Buy the Land Plane.....Yes they cost more...They will save you time and give a better job.

As a FYI: I did more grading by backblading with the loader bucket than with a Box Blade.

·
Registered
812 Posts
i checked out tractor supply and the 5ft tiller is rated for 25-50 hp. maybe you have an old tractor? i am still learning about the hp so any suggestions are appreciated.
jack
he’s giving real world experience not what some manufacture claims. You obviously want a 5 footer so go buy it regardless of all the advice you asked for and received!

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
who needs wikipedia or the internet. we've got pff. you guys have really been helpful. i'll keep looking for a used (new if i can't find used) 4 or 5 footer and post back up some updates. thanks.
jack

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Pinging off X-shark, our tiller is worth it’s weight in gold and you will enjoy it. Getting the garden ready literally takes 10 minutes. Wouldn’t want to do 40 acres with it but gardens and food plots are easily managed.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Due to the gearing in a tiller, you can run a 5’ with your tractor. Breaking new ground isn’t going to be fun, but spray and bush hogging before hand makes a big difference. I wouldn’t own a tiller that wasn’t covering my tire tracks.

Key with a tiller is running in low gear and not high gear. Make sure you get a gear driven and not chain driven. I prefer King Kutters

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
I just bought a 6 ft to pull behind my 70 hp kubota and after reading all this thread y’all got me wondering , I’ve never used a rototiller Do you run it at 540 rpm like other implements. Also will my 50 hp pull it?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Off Route, you can easily pull a 6’ with a 50hp tractor. You could actually pull a 7’ with a 50hp tractor. I can pull a 6’ with my 40hp (engine pto) with no issues. Yes, you run at 540pto rpm but you do it in low gear.

The gear reduction in a tiller puts way less strain on the tractor compared to an implement like a bush hog.

Most people will tell you that a tiller is a lot slower. I disagree when using most compact/utility tractors. Most discs that people pull 4-7’ 3 point hitch take multiple passes to get what I would consider a good seedbed. With a tiller you can make 1 pass and do what a 4-7’ disc can do in 3-4 passes. My brother regularly uses a 6’ King Kutter behind a 44hp (engine Pto) tractor with no issues at all.

90% of people pull a tiller in too high of gear and still require multiple passes. I like to bush hog, wait 2 weeks, spray any new growth, till with 1 pass when you are ready to seed.

When you figure out how to run a tiller correctly, you will sell a disc. Unless you have an 8’ plus hydraulic disc.

these pics were rototilled with 1 pass using a 30hp tractor and a 5’ tiller

Attachments

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I just bought a 6 ft to pull behind my 70 hp kubota and after reading all this thread y’all got me wondering , I’ve never used a rototiller Do you run it at 540 rpm like other implements. Also will my 50 hp pull it?
You can and the 50 will have no problem and when you can you don’t have to run every thing at the 540 it will save fuel and wear

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
What Aurburn17 said......Low range.....PTO speed should Always be 540....That is what the design of the equipment is supposed to do... Creep the ground speed along....Let the machine do it's job.....Don't lug the engine. I see it a Lot with garden tractors also....People think they are doing right by not running the engine at high speed to get that 540 RPM or in the case of a Garden tractor to get that blade tip speed. They are lugging the engine.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
What Aurburn17 said......Low range.....PTO speed should Always be 540....That is what the design of the equipment is supposed to do... Creep the ground speed along....Let the machine do it's job.....Don't lug the engine. I see it a Lot with garden tractors also....People think they are doing right by not running the engine at high speed to get that 540 RPM or in the case of a Garden tractor to get that blade tip speed. They are lugging the engine.
But if you hook that 5 foot to a 70 hp tractor you can destroy it pretty easy or a 25hp to a 6 it's hell on the tractor. You can over power or under power implements and tractors .Like You say don't lug the engine but don't kill your eq ethier. If you have matched Eq. Run what manufacture says run. Sometimes things don't work that way and you just have to get a feel for it and what you have or be ready to work on it .LOL

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Has nothing to do with the width of the implement on a big tractor. Has everything to do with the HP rating of the gear box
!00% Correct sir I'm not getting my point across (and not wanting to look like a smart ass) All that has to be matched. If you have a tractor and say you know I think I want this. Then go to the local supply store buy something that's to big or small. you did not do yourself any favors. My point being. You probably Know what you need and many more on here. But some don't so trying to help them understand.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Do not know anything about this, or if it something that you would want, but saw it and thought I would let you know about it.

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
a big shoutout to jpwalnut for offering his 5ft. county line. we talked for a while about hp ratiangs and i decided to call my brother in tarentum. i had given him a 4ft county line last year and wanted to know how it ran with his yanmar compact. as we were talking, he said he doesn't use it much anymore and told me to come get it. i'm going to hook it up today after i get through cleaning fish. pics coming when i get it hooked up.
thanks, guys, for all the comments.
jack

21 - 40 of 40 Posts