Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have a weight mold for 2oz3oz 4oz thats for sale or i can borrow please let me know. Thanks

Scott

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
more info would be good.

Do you need Bank style, Barrel style, etc? Slip sinker?

They have them for about 20 dollars in ebay, etc.

I need to buy a big Bank style mold myself. I have been watching them on ebay.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Didnt think of that. I got a 55 gallon drum oftireweights from a friend and im gonna make some sinkers. Thanks for the info :toast

Scott

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
the price of fishing lead is crazy...like $.30/oz i think...if you've got that much lead, you're a lucky man...

i think badazzchef or tunaman might can help...

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
if i did not live in mobile i would let you make as many as you want egg sinkers. i have i believe 1/2 oz to 12 oz.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
if you buy one of the "Do-it" style molds, you need to plan on taking off the short wooden handles and making some replacement handles at home.

I ripped some wood into 1 1/2 inch by 2 inch strips (approx) and used a router to make a groove on one side. Install that over the metal attachments.

The reason for this is that your impulse is to open the handles by wrapping your fingers between the handles, and it will burn the &%$#@* out of your fingertips over and over..... With the longer, improved handles, you can do that and never get near the metal attachment of the mold. I made my handles about a foot long.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
angus_cow_doctor (21/04/2010)if you buy one of the "Do-it" style molds, you need to plan on taking off the short wooden handles and making some replacement handles at home.

I ripped some wood into 1 1/2 inch by 2 inch strips (approx) and used a router to make a groove on one side. Install that over the metal attachments.

The reason for this is that your impulse is to open the handles by wrapping your fingers between the handles, and it will burn the &%$#@* out of your fingertips over and over..... With the longer, improved handles, you can do that and never get near the metal attachment of the mold. I made my handles about a foot long.
never thought of making them long. thank you for the suggestion.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bid on a couple molds.I need a cast iron pot to melt them in also. I found a couple that would be perfect ,if i can only get them for the 20.00 i bid for them. Thanks for thetip on the extended handle. Save me from making the same mistakes others have made.:toast

Scott

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
when you go to pour the lead, take a small soup can and squish the top side 1/2 into a sharp "V". Leave the other half round. On the side, attach a slat of wood with some screws from the inside of the can into the wood (put wood on the outside of course).

This makes for a cheap, and disposable "ladle" for the lead. The wood will smoke if it gets too hot, but will save your hands from burning. Any lead that solidifies in the can will melt back if you put the can into the molten lead, upright.

Also, if you are planning on making any slip-sinkers, the molds come with a wire stylet. Use some bar soap to thoroughly wipe that stylet before pouring the lead. It won't stick in the lead as bad. Re-apply every 5 pours or so.

Also, if your mold is too cold, the lead will solidify as soon as you pour it. You need to gently warm the mold by placing in near the heat source (propane cooker) before pouring. However, if it is too hot, it can crack or melt, so don't go overboard. Usually, my first 2-3 pours are a bust, but then the mold will reach optimum temp and the rest go really well.

Just some more advice from someone who learned the hard way! LOL

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Some good advise there. Thanks :toast :toast
Scott

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hey angus, I've got a Do-It mold, Lee melter w/ pour spout, and 5 gl bucket of net leads. I bought some paraffin wax, will this work like Bar soap for the wire insert in slip type mold? All new this will be a first for equip and me. Thanks for tips. By the way... what IS Bar Soap? A bar of soap?

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Yuppers.

The soap of choice for me is Irish Spring, but only because thats what was handy.....

Any kind of glycerine based solid should work. Parafin might melt too fast, never tried it before, but worth a shot.

I just went and raided the house and got a bar that was in the bathroom supply...LOL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts