Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a nice little rifle for my up and coming deer hunter. 30-30 is kinda what I'm thinking unless someone has a better option.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
David,

I just bought a new one for my 9 yr old daughter at Academy 2 wks ago.

They had a little Rossi combo for $199. It's a single shot brich 243 that included a Simmons 3x9x40 and gun case. It's a synthethic stock that Rossi has numerous interchangable barrels for..... I've got got the 22 and 410 barrel for it also.

While not a high quality gun, it is for a 9 yr old that's new to deer hunting and she's having an absolute blast with it and doing quite well at the range so far in prep for opening gun season.

My 11 yr old daughter is doing quite a bit better and this will be her second yr hunting and she's extremely accurate with hers. She's using a Browning A-bolt micro hunter in 7mm-08.

·
Registered
309 Posts
David

Good luck on your search. I started with a 30-30, great all around gun. But just remember as Scott mentioned above regardless the caliber and type of gun get those kids to the range to practice. Glad to see all these kids heading to the woods, I expect to see alot of "red" faces this year.

·
Registered
782 Posts
i bought my kids the rossi combo as well. .22 - 20 ga. - .243

3x9x40 barska. you can purchase the combo for under 200. it covers everything from quail to deer. the .243 is a great round even though all the forum members will slam it, do to their bigger is better way of thinking. very low recoil and that is what kids worry about.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you have the extra cash, I would recommend you consider the NEF (New England firearm) .243 Youth Handi-rifle. It is a better rifle that the Rossi and not much more in cost. It is also a single shot, break barrel design. Academy carries one withwalnut stock,nice butt pad, 3x9x40 scope and it has a bull barrel....all for around $270. You can get better deal at gun shows and at Mikes Outdoor sports or Jay's Outdoor sports in Jay, Fl. $185 for the gun without scope. Add a scope and you still come out ahead of the Retail stores.

I bought one for my 9 yr old son and he loves it. The combination of the bull barrel, walnut stock and butt pad makes the recoil not so intiminating and the .243 calibre is perfect for most small game and deer in the southeast. The Bull barrel does make the rifle a bit heavy, but he uses the rail on the tree stand or the shooting box to take the weight off and steady the riffle for the shot. On long walks to the stand...I help himby carrying it. I know 18 yr olds thatstill prefer shooting their NEF .243 they got when they were 8 or 9....a big reason why I bought the NEF for my son.

The only downside in comparison is the NEFdoes not allow for interchangeable barrels.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I'm just really partial to the 30-30's for first guns. That was my first, Marlin 336C gold trigger edition. Still have it. I've heard lots of people talking about hte 30-30 being their first gun and they hate they ever got rid of it (if they did). Thing about it is its not really a youth rifle. I would still be using mine today expect for its physcially to short for me to use with a scope. I did buy a nice scope for my wife's birthday one year and put on it so she could go hunting. In fact, the biggest deer I've killed out of my stand was with a Winchester 30-30 because I forgot my rifle at the house one weekend and borrowed one from my dad. It didn't even have a scope.

That said, it might be to much for a younger child, a 9 year old for example.

4,058 Posts
Bottom Feeder (10/19/2007) I know 18 yr olds thatstill prefer shooting their NEF .243 they got when they were 8 or 9....
I am 23 and still use my Remington Model 700 ADL Synthetic Youth .243. Never lost a deer I hit with it. Never had one run past 40 yards either. Got a VERY nice scope on it, however. It's kinda the whole "if it aint broke, don't fix it" theory. Of course, when I start shootin pronghorns, mulies, and elk, I'll get a bigger gun. But for now, aint nothin wrong with using a "youth" model.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I went throught this same discussion a couple of months ago. I was really leaning toward a .243. Ended up with a 7mm 08 Remington from Outcast. It is a little big at first but after a few shots my boys are doing fine with it. They are practicing to go up to Woodys a little later and they are stoked. It has been fun watching them both.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,546 Posts
definitely go with a youth 243. Winchester, Ruger, Remington and a few more models are available. It will kill everything you want your young son or daughter to kill. I shot one, my brothers son and my son also shot one and we had a 100% kill to retrieve ratio. It also shoots way flatter than 30-30.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
The Blue Hoo (10/19/2007)
I am 23 and still use my Remington Model 700 ADL Synthetic Youth .243. Never lost a deer I hit with it. Never had one run past 40 yards either. Got a VERY nice scope on it, however. It's kinda the whole "if it aint broke, don't fix it" theory. Of course, when I start shootin pronghorns, mulies, and elk, I'll get a bigger gun. But for now, aint nothin wrong with using a "youth" model.
My next rifle will be a .243. Been eyeing several models but ain't ready to sink the cash just yet. however, it won't be a "youth" model. Now that I've grown up and become a man the youth models are just to short :poke:letsdrink

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would have to say that I agree with what everyone else said, either 223,243, or 7-08. The 30-30 is agreat gun, but can be a little much for a youngun. Depending on your budget, let the fit be the guide!

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,546 Posts
223 isn't a legal deer hunting caliber.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I bought my son a NEF 243 last yr. a perfect rifle with great dropping power,He shoots corlokt 100gr here is the evidence.

·
Registered
439 Posts
243 corelock 100gr stbt nether my son or I have lost one yet...knock on wood

This year I have a 7mm-08 this will be our first year were we both are armed.

243 low kick very accurate and does a good job:clap:clap

·
Super Moderator
28,376 Posts
Yepper, David.....I'd say the 243....my 8 year old shoots a NEF 223 but this will be his last year when he moves up, I'm buying a 7-08 barrel fer my Thompson Pro Hunter fer him to use during gun season...I just got home today from up in your parts (Gaitlinburg) and drove past Ron's (Tuna Man) big city of Calera.....I'll be back up next month the ole lady says!!!

·
Registered
393 Posts
I bought my son a 7-08 and he shoots it fine. We have been to the range a bunch and it is a great shooting little gun. I almost bought him a .243 but I wanted a little more knockdown power. I bought the Ruger Stainless Compact with the laminated stock.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts