Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are in the market for a Jeep Wrangler or CJ. Looking for one under $7000, preferably with a 6 cyl or V-8 engine, A/C (if possible) and it has to have a back seat. Of course we'd like one in decent shape but it doesn't have to be perfect. Thanks for any help.Chris

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Depending on what you are doing with the Jeep you may want to rethink the 4cyl. I have the 4 and the low end on it is extremely snappy. Mine has no A/C but I take the top off 8 months out of the year so I have never needed it. The 4 is actually pretty sought after by certain types of off road because the torque is really good especially when you consider how much lighter the Jeep is with the smaller engine.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good point, I will probably never pull anything bigger than a small utility trailer with it. Mainly want one for a fun weekend/second vehicle that I can use for beach fishing and won't care if I get a little sand in it. I have a work vehicle but can't really use it for personal business unless it's during the work day. I may reconsider the 4 cyl. Thanks for the advice. CR

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
My 4 gets 20mpg and that is with some fat tires on it and the top usually off. The other thing I like about my 4 is that with the smaller motor I have a TON of room under the hood if I have to work on anything. I replaced the whole cooling system last year and it was so easy. Be careful about getting a Jeep though. I bought mine and I may never ever own anything else. I am addicted to the jeep with the top and doors off. My wife now wants her own Jeep and we may be looking at getting one specifically for play that we do not have to worry about it breaking down as a daily driver.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I am on my 2nd jeep. My first '89 was a 6 cylinder and it seemed like something was always breaking on it. My current '89 has a 4 banger in it. So far i have been very happy with it. I put 30" tires on it and the pick up and mileage suffers some but not too bad. Good luck and i will keep an eye out for ya.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I have a 98 with the four banger in also. A couple of my buddies have nicknamed it the "four boomer", it has gone places and done things no other four banger will. I run 31 inch tires and around town it does fine, I just try not to take it on the interstate much cause it runs at the top end of the rpm range at 70 mph.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I think you guys have convinced me, I'll look at 4 bangers too. I did find a 93 with 103,000 miles that looked pretty good, I'll have to see if it's still available.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a 1985 CJ 7 4-sale, hard top, hard doors, 6 cyl, sorry no a/c, lots of new parts.

$ 4500negotiable. PM if interested.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help guys, I got one today. A 93, 108,000 miles, 4 cyl., A/C, white. Pretty good deal I think. Now I have to see if my surf gear will fit in it. Is there anywhere in town that sells Jeep accessories? I'd like to find a different top for it.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I don't know of any good local place but quadratec.com is the best company online. Every accessory imaginable and at good prices.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Quadratec has been a great company to deal with. I have ordered a bunch of stuff from them!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I also have usedQuadratic. The only thing about them 89ish to 95s are those goofy square headlights. The I-6 is a betterenginethen the 4, gotta throw that in. The only thing to look for on yours is if the valve cover gasket has blown out, its kinda common on jeeps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts