Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need something waterproof and that makes a bigger bang than the crap they sell at the stands around here...M80, salute, cherry bomb type stuff

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The real deal ones were taken off the stands a looong time ago. Didn't know if somebody maybe had a stash of something better than the snakes and sparklers they sell here

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Baffles me how i can legally buy guns and ammo but can't purchase a decent firecracker to scare the damn dolphins away from stealing my family's dinner

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've never even bothered with the 50 mg junk...would those have enough pop to scare flipper away?

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I hate flipper as much as any fisherman. But I think tossing explosives at them might be illegal.
Not sure but I would think cruelty to animals, wildlife harassment, or something along these lines.
Of course, if noone sees you.......................:rolleyes:

Keep this in mind.
Several years ago I had my older brother out on one of the wrecks off Pensacola about ten miles. He was having a ball catching school Kings and I was releasing them. There was another boat with three guys on it next to us. They were putting every king they caught in the fish box.

I didn't thing there was another boat for miles around us. Next thing I know the FWC comes blowing up on the boat next to us and boards. They were pissed. I heard him say they were watching from a long distance with high powered binoculars. He confiscated the fish in the box and took the captain on board his boat for a good 30 minutes. I didn't dare leave as I figured they would board us next. When they brought the other guy back, I tossed a couple of bumpers over the side and started getting my license registration etc... out.

The officer looked at me and waved, said "You guys are good, have a good time"

You may be watched and not know it.....................................

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
those would be fairly easy to make.
Gun powder and water proof fuses are readily available.
Dip the finished firecracker in paraffin and WALA!!
Ive made some with the paper cross bar from a pants hanger from the dry cleaners, gunpowder, fast setting epoxy and a fuse. Years ago when I was reloading shotgun shells. Tried it just for grins. Made a pretty big bang.

Try putting some dry ice in a 2 liter coke bottle with some water and placing the cap on it.
Stand back far. Cover your ears, it makes a big BANG.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Didn't the M80s use flash powder? I guess regular gun powder works just as good. I do like the dry ice idea, used to do that all the time as a kid...MRE bombs make a pretty good boom too.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Easier than dry ice is the works toilet bowl cleaner in a two liter bottle with a few tiny balls of aluminum foil dropped inside. Doesn’t take much Works either. Screw the cap on and whatever gas it creates when they react blows the bottle up and it’s loud. Takes about 45 seconds. For about $2.50 you’ll have all the homemade firecrackers you need.

*edit- do this at your own risk. I did it a lot as a teen in the late 90s and never got in trouble for it. Apparently nowadays it’s a third degree felony. Making a destructive device. It makes hydrogen gas. Best not to do it in these modern times.
Me and my buddies growing up used to do the same thing...no idea thats a felony now haha

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
*edit- do this at your own risk. I did it a lot as a teen in the late 90s and never got in trouble for it. Apparently nowadays it’s a third degree felony. Making a destructive device. It makes hydrogen gas. Best not to do it in these modern times.
Got to remember we now live in a world where a kid can be expelled and arrested for drawing a gun, making a gun with his finger and thumb, or biting a pop tart into a gun shape.

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
Those Dolphins are smarter than any of you fools that are preaching throwing M 80s or anything at them to scare them away. mammals just like us. The Navy trains them to do remarkable things. Leave them alone toss small or unwanted fish back to them.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Those Dolphins are smarter than any of you fools that are preaching throwing M 80s or anything at them to scare them away. mammals just like us. The Navy trains them to do remarkable things. Leave them alone toss small or unwanted fish back to them.
I've got a strong feeling that the dolphins Im speaking of aren't trained by the Navy. And if you threw M80s at me, i wouldn't be hanging around to have more thrown at me, since they are mammals like us. Why do they make dolphin deterrents for net fisherman then if it doesn't scare them away?

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
When I was a kid in the 60s, we always had cherry bombs and silver salutes around. M-80s were a little harder to come by but we did get lucky sometimes.
Haven’t seen any in years.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Nothing to see here, just some good ol fashioned PFF conversation. I mean i guess i learned something, didn't know it was illegal to try and scare flipper away without harmimg him. Also didn't know that the toilet bowl cleaner/pop bottle blasts and things we did as kids was illegal.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nor did i know that firecrackers, even the legal ones, were illegal in Florida. Sheesh! So I appreciate everybody's input on my ignorance, at least now I know that's why you only see snakes and sparklers on the shelves here.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts