Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
701 Posts
How much are you looking to spend? D0 you want to use it on your car also? DO NOT BUY the dual handle "orbital" ones you see at Sears etc. I detailed boats for a couple of years and my go to polisher was the Porter Cable 7424.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porter-Cable-6-in-Variable-Speed-Random-Orbit-Polisher-7424XPR-/331041246410?pt=Power_Tools&hash=item4d13988cca

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORTER-CABLE-7424XP-6-Inch-Variable-Speed-Polisher-/290998818539?pt=Power_Tools&hash=item43c0e196eb

http://www.autogeek.net/marine-31-boat-care.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wirelessly posted

Thanks!! I really didn't know what they went for used. I have no intentions of using on my truck, it has the stock metallic paint on it and shines either way.

My boat on the other hand has a polyurethane paint on it and a slight orange peel. I was going to wetsand then buff and polish it. It's black so it shows every imperfection. I have painted and sanded many times before just never done any real buffing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
701 Posts
If your going to wet sand and buff I would go with a Dewalt or Makita. The PC can do it but it will take alot longer.
The nice thing with the PC is it is PERFECT for autos. It wont burn the paint.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
701 Posts
The Makita and Dewalt "Spins" in a circle.
The PC 7424 "spins" but also "wiggles"?. Its a dual action polisher.
The PC is great for hulls that arent heavily oxidated. When I detailed boats the PC could handle about 95% of what I needed it to do. The other 5% was a PITA.
One thing to look for is weight. I think Harbor freight sells them also for a lot cheaper.
Be warned: I bought a PC to do my car then I did a friends car then next thing you know I was doing about 10 cars a month then I did a friends boat and next thing you know I am doing 5-10 boats a month. I was making more detailing than what I was in the AF.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
701 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Ill chime in here. I feel that I have lots of experience with several thousands cars done with different machine.

If your working on cars, I would go with the griots DA. Hands down best bang for your buck, the porter cable cant touch it. The griots also has a lifetime warranty if for some reason somethings come up. Mine has been fine.

Please dont try to take on any real project with just one pad, recipe for disaster.

If your trying to remove orange peel, the only thing that is going to take care of that is wetsanding and compounding, not to mention experience. I would never take on finishing down wetsanding using a DA polisher. Gotta use a circular polisher and then follow up with a DA.

This is why people pay others to do this. Just my two cents!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,460 Posts
babbster, you back in town?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,194 Posts
I think the makita is 1) the lightest on the market, and 2) carries the ability to spin at the lowest rpms (600 rpm) compared to the others. You can turn that makita all the way down and buff out the haze in eisenglass too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
No, not back in town.

Would love to get back up there by the summer but right now things are going well in Orlando.

Having a rotary that can do low RPMs is a great tool! Not always easy to find either. Makita makes great rotary buffers.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top