Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm needing a backpack that can handle packing in 50-60 lbs of gear for a wilderness elk hunt and pack out elk/muledeer. Willing to pay reasonable price for something I think I can use.

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
3,091 Posts
What about a large or medium LC-1 or LC-2 Alice Pack or Molle 2 field pack with frame? They can carry a ton with plenty of room.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have never seen any of these in the wilderness camps I have been in. Looks like they are designed with shoulder straps and waist strap and not good, adjustable shoulder and waist suspension "systems".
Was hoping for something that is designed just for my application, but thanks for the information.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I have two that I used when I did a lot of hiking. Both will hold that has an alum interior frame. You are welcome to use it or buy one or both. Only problem is I am leaving for trip for 15 days. I live in Daphne but go to Pensacola regular if you would like. Just let me know.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I have been well pleased with my Badlands 2600. I have packed out some heavy loads with it and it is one more tough and well designed piece of gear. Eberlestock is another great pack that is less expensive than Mystery Ranch Or Badlands. If you're going to carry that much gear or meat, you want the most comfortable and rugged pack you can get or your trip of a lifetime will become a pain in your back shoulders and hips. All the top end brands have lifetime warranties so read and watch reviews from elk hunters and guides on all of them before spending your hard-earned cash.

Reactions: JoeZ

·
Registered
732 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought the Alps Commander from Sportsman's Warehouse. Free shipping and it was $129.95 and no sales tax. Good bargain for a guy on a budget. Only thing left to get is a good sleeping pad, probably a Therm-a-rest. Have license, elk tag, deer tag, bear tag and getting a wolf tag. Gotta love Idaho.
For those that don't already know, Idaho has what they call a DAV license and tags for disabled vets that cost the same as the mentored hunter tags. Really inexpensive compared to non-resident in other western states and all are available OTC versus trying to draw.
Thanks for all the input and the kind offers. I really appreciate you'll.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Ive used cabelas Alaska guide series ext frame pack for over ten years and am extremely satisfied. Great suspension system is essential. When you get 60 pounds on your back in the Rockies you’ll hurt in the weirdest of places. With a good pack you can shift weight back and forth from hips to shoulders

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Just a suggestion. Now that you have it fill it up and put miles in it and get on the ground and get up several times you need to know how to do that and balance the pack. Hope you have a great time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts