Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using a wreck anchor at the edge? How well does it work? I lost a danforth rigged break away last time i anchored out there and thinking about buying a wreck anchor. I understand you rig them break away but what about chain size, length? My boat is 21'. I have a buoy as well which i didn't have when I lost my old anchor.

thanks

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
That's all I use at the edge. I use cheap wreck anchors, lost too many danforths out there. Plus if you hook up you are on a spot. I just replace the danforth with a wreck anchor and use the windlass as a trolling motor sort of. Not supposed to do this but it works.

Reactions: Ocean Master

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am switching from a "wreck anchor" to a "break away" anchor for my fishing at The Edge. Last trip out the current was fairly strong and the wreck anchor would drag along the bottom. It would catch on the rocks at The Edge but by then the boat and lines were off to the deeper side so very few bites. Could not tighten up on the anchor enough to pull us back on top. Tried resetting a couple of times with no luck so ended up just holding position on our spot with the motors.

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
Purity well covered in previous posts, wreck anchor with enough chain to keep it from dragging. Or fluke anchor with break away tie ties and enough chain. I have some 8 lb anchors that would work fine for a 21 ft boat with enough chain to prevent dragging until they hang in rocks. If the chain gets under a ledge whatever you use will be lost. I will show you how to rig a Danforth style anchor if you buy one or not.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I have a Danforth rigged break-away with cable and a zip tie but haven't deployed it yet. I think I'd rather use a wreck anchor at the edge to be safe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts