Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Squid technician
10,506 Posts
I saw this on yahoo the other day. Really shows the progression of tackle and technique. The 400lb mark was in reachable for so long and yet in the past 3 yrs it has been surpassed several times. Pretty awesome, but it won't qualify for IGFA from what I had read because a mate had handled the rod at some point

I just clicked the link. That's not the same fish I was reading about. I'm going to try to find the link

·
Registered
848 Posts
I saw this on yahoo the other day. Really shows the progression of tackle and technique. The 400lb mark was in reachable for so long and yet in the past 3 yrs it has been surpassed several times. Pretty awesome, but it won't qualify for IGFA from what I had read because a mate had handled the rod at some point

I just clicked the link. That's not the same fish I was reading about. I'm going to try to find the link

I heard the same thing, last I heard is they are not happy with the mate who handled the rod... But nonetheless it's a BIG fish.

·
Squid technician
10,506 Posts
Weighed in at 445lb. The angler who caught it was on his first long range trip!

·
Squid technician
10,506 Posts
Here's the pic I found at the weigh in this morning

Attachments

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I think it was caught on the Excel which is a long range boat out of San Diego. Those guys are fishing 16 days. They hammer fish and I am sure the knew it was a big cow but you got to wonder when the mate touched the rod if they really thought they had a shot at a world record or if it was just another big cow. Hindsight......

·
Squid technician
10,506 Posts
I read that they had no idea how big it was going to be. I read a report from basil pappas who was on board. They were catching many 200+lb fish but nothing like this. Unfortunate but somehow I doubt it's taken the stoke from that angler. It makes me wonder if/when the 500lb mark will be reached. Commercial tuna guys have taken fish to that size so...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts