Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be down in July (14-22) and plan on doing as much surf fishing as possible. Went down a couple of years ago in August (can't remember days) to Gulf Shores and has 1 good day of 5 fishing. Caught 5 pomps in about an hour stretch. I guess they were passing through. Caught them all on Pomp Rigs with sand fleas for bait. Ate them....delicious. Now that I think about it I hope I was within regs.

Anyway, I'm going back and hope to catch some more pomps, but what else might I catch and what else makes for a fine meal? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. And if you have time, are there limits (size and count) that I need to worry about?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Download the fish rules app and spend some time familiarizing yourself with common surf species. Whiting, slot redfish, and blacknose sharks are the surf meals that come to mind in mid july. All of these will hit a pompano rig with fleas or fresh peeled shrimp. Pompano are hit or miss with mostly miss that time of year.

·
Registered
400 Posts
It is an app you can download to your phone that will show location specific regulations for saltwater fish. It can be downloaded through the app store on iphone, not sure what its called on android.

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
There is going to be a very wide variety of species around. Pompano will still be available and the washouts and troughs along gulf shores and orange beach will hold speckled trout, Redfish, flounder and many more.

If you’d like, feel free to stop by our tackle store on canal rd in Orange Beach. I have surf fished here all of my life and can help you get on the right path.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been in Chris' place before. Fantastic, friendly service. Happy to give advice!

I did fail to mention, we're going to Panama City this time (against my will). I wanted to go back to Gulf Shores, but I was outvoted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts