Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Grateful Angler
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am making shark bite leaders with #19 wire and this is my first go with such stout wire doing haywire twists. Would you use this as is or should I give it another shot and make more wraps and leave myself more tag to work with?

·
Registered
718 Posts
check this out.. I have seen if you don't have them twister together pull tight and break with a lot of pressure.

Attachments

·
Registered
870 Posts
The first 5-6 twists need to be tight, then do 4-5 loos twists like you had. But give it a good pull and see how it holds. The tag end doesn't really matter, I would cut it off. Be careful of those big tag ends they can be sharp and cut you very easily.

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
Like above said, the wire needs to twist together, not one wrapping around the other. Getting the "X" wrapping from the start is critical. If you're close to our store at any point, drop by with your rigging and I'll show you how to do it easy without any tools

·
Grateful Angler
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! I went through quite a few tries before I got it down. My hands hurt like hell but I think the ones I made will be ok. I will hopefully get to test them out tonight and tomorrow.

·
Registered
355 Posts
A trick that may help you guys is that I've always wrapped the knot in electrical tape. It doesn't affect the performance and can save you a few stitches...

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Thanks guys! I went through quite a few tries before I got it down. My hands hurt like hell but I think the ones I made will be ok. I will hopefully get to test them out tonight and tomorrow.
Use pliers!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts