Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy and I had a conversation about why someone might cheat to win a fishiing tournament. Of course Money, Prizes or to Win would be the motivation to do so as we couldn't come up with another reason. If it does happen I regret it does, I know of several people that will not fish tournaments for this very reason, so in the Long Haul someone that would cheat in fishing competition hurt themselves due to the field potentially getting smaller and payouts going down as well.

All things considered would you Cheat to Win a Fishing Tournament?

·
Super Moderator
12,779 Posts
This weekend in Hopedale louisiana, I strategically placed a case of beer in chris' cooler of his boat so he would get distracted and quite fishing :doh

·
Your mom's a
6,790 Posts
What's cheating? Breaking the rules?

What if something was not directly prohibited but still unethical and gave you a distinct advantage over the rest (or at least the best of the rest)?

·
Super Moderator
12,779 Posts
tmass (1/18/2010)
John B. (1/18/2010)This weekend in Hopedale louisiana, I strategically placed a case of beer in chris' cooler of his boat so he would get distracted and quite fishing :doh

It must not have been thatdistracting because we spanked you and matt!!
it was 3 against 2!, and we beat y'all 1 day!

·
stonecoldshooter
1,757 Posts
If you cheat, regardless of the payout... you have won nothing.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
No. Karma, there are eyes and ears everywhere, & it's just not winning to show ur abilities if you cheated to get there. My opinion.

·
Banned
1,953 Posts
watched a guy gaff afree swimming cobia at the trysler grounds during the King Mack tourney, sure enough i saw them weigh in a cobia

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
:nonono NO!

I once had a tournament director, who professed to have many wins and records,go into great detail on how to, and why we chould havetrimmed downthe fish tail to make it legal.:banghead We hadjust weighed a long fish (1/8" over limit- but measured legal on our board). Something like that really makes you wonder about some people.

·
Registered
13,754 Posts
A person that cheats in a tournament, will cheat at everything else in life.

But, is spilling a couple gallons of bleach cheating???

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
BananaTom (1/19/2010)A person that cheats in a tournament, will cheat at everything else in life.

But, is spilling a couple gallons of bleach cheating???

did the rules say anything about it? i don't think so, wrong on many, many levels...but wasn't defined in the rules as cheating

is snatching a cobia against the rules? at one time it wasn't, now it is, but snatch hooked fish placed in/won tournies in the past.

is fishing inside of a military exclusion zone against the rules? no. is it right? no. is it against the law? yes.

sometimes when people are looking for that little extra edge on the competition they'll bend the rules or try to find a way around them without actually breaking them. things happen that are unsportsmanlike and unethical but are still within the rules. I personally wouldn't ruin my reputation or go down to that level to win. If I can't win fair and square then I didn't deserve to win..period. Plus it makes it that much sweeter when you do beat the folks that are trying to bend the rules or are flat out cheating. but then again, like the old saying goes "if you aint cheatin, you ain't competin"

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Realtor (1/19/2010)How in the world would you cheat? I see "free gaffing a Cobia" or "triming it's tail" I mean you catch the fish, it gets measured or weighed, and thats it right?

just wondering.....

you could get a winning fish from someone.

Store a fish for the tourney

add weight to a fish. I heard this happened but don't know where that a fish was hung to weigh and weights fell out of the mouth. I think they said it was a shark. Could stick bb weights in the rectum.

I saw a tournement on a tv show where a boat was DQed because they had a motor go out and another boat broke the sea for them and they follows them in. They called it getting help from another vessel or something.

People can get creative when it comes to cheating.

I would never cheat in a tournament. Been cheated in one tho!

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Realtor (1/19/2010)How in the world would you cheat? I see "free gaffing a Cobia" or "triming it's tail" I mean you catch the fish, it gets measured or weighed, and thats it right?

just wondering.....

catching your fish a day or 2 in advance of the tourny, inshore tourny...put your fish in a holding pin, offshore have another boat also fishing a differnt spot and if they catch a bigger fish than you pass the fish off, as posted before adding weight some way(there are endless ways)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts