Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What linedo most prefer to use when inshore fishing for Specs, Reds, Flounder etc.? Is there a better choice of line (and lb.)to spool on a reel between braid ormono? And where would floro come into play? Just trying to learn this inshore gig.Last weekend I fished in the OB area, Terry Cove, Perd. Pass, Ono, and Innerarity. Not much luck, some trash fish and one keeper flounder. I'm new to this forum and looks like quite a fewinshore guys hangout here. Any input would be welcomed, Thanks.

·
Registered
782 Posts
i use 20# berkley fire-line crystal for braid and i like 12# cajun red for mono. i know i will be slammed for that one:looser

oh well.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you fishing the braid line straight to your hook or should i be using aleader? Didnt know if braid was more visible than floro or mono leader.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,548 Posts
I use 8# ande back country. If you use braid you must tie on a leader, doesn't have to be fluoro.Learn to tie a uni to uni and you can attach mono to braid.

·
Super Moderator
12,804 Posts
Freespool (10/18/2007)8lb suffix. Or if you are fishing heavy structure for redfish 12lb suffix or 10lb powerpro/suffix braid.
i agree! 8lb sufix is the strongest line (in it's class.... duh) that i've ever used, if i get hung up, i usually bend the hooks out of the lure before the line breaks.... great stuff!:bowdown

·
Registered
130 Posts
i have 12lb ande on a us reel and 20lb power pro braid on a Penn slammer 360.

also guys power pro 20lb is the same diameter a 6lb mono so if your reel can hold 6 you can hold 20lb power pro. i also have a penn 440ssg with 12 lb sufix mono on it.

but power pro is alot more responsive and you can feel every little nibble.

power pro is a little expensive though.

10 or 20 lb is what i use or if you like mono go with any type of sufix or ande those are my personal faveorites

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
SKIFFY (10/18/2007)i have 12lb ande on a us reel and 20lb power pro braid on a Penn slammer 360.
also guys power pro 20lb is the same diameter a 6lb mono so if your reel can hold 6 you can hold 20lb power pro. i also have a penn 440ssg with 12 lb sufix mono on it.
but power pro is alot more responsive and you can feel every little nibble.
power pro is a little expensive though.
10 or 20 lb is what i use or if you like mono go with any type of sufix or ande those are my personal faveorites
IF you fish 20lb pp on a rod rated for 6lb line,there's a much much higher chance the rod will break

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I like sufix it is REALLY strong....but it seems like it gets twisted a lot and you get those spinning reel- backlashes. And no I dont overload my reels

·
Registered
153 Posts
I use 10# power pro with a 4' leader of 14# . I use the stren knot to join the two. The stren knot has the tag end of the leader angled back to the reel so it goes through the eyes easily when casting and is small . I can cast a lot farther with braid than mono.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
When it comes to lighter line, I do like the suffix brand. Heavier stuff I go to berkley big game and ande. I have 1 reel loaded with 8lb suffix, one with 10lb bbg, another with 12lb ande, and my two big spinning reels with 25lb bbg, and then my 6/0 with 50lb ande......lol I like all 3, but the majaority of my reels have bbg high vis green cuz i do most of my fishing at night.

Hey Eric thanks for the knot illustration!

·
Registered
561 Posts
If you do use braid, it is a VERY good idea to put a little mono backing on the spool before the braid is put on. This can cut down on a lot of frustrations:letsdrink

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
First Catch, Whats the main reason you are starting outwith mono before going into your braid?Does braid have issues starting out on the spool or 'cause you just don't want to wastebraid in the beginning? Or none of the above..... Eric dido on the knot post, very helpful.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Couple reasons for the mono backing. 1. To fill the spool, due to the thin diameter of braided lines and the high cost of it it is a good idea to back with mono then fill with braid. So you get a full spool and don't spend $40 on it. 2. Sometimes when braid is packed on really well and then allowed to dry it will slip on the spool, the braid will no bite on to the spool well enough.

I fish braid only and love it. I do back it with mono to help fill the spool and I have only had a problem once with the braid slipping on the spool. I added a little water to the spool problem solved. It's a great line it just takes some time to get used to. Be careful of your line if it gets loose you will throw tons of wind knots, especially when trying to throw long distances.

Also the inserts on your rod guides can be an issue. If fishing braid on light tackle rods for big fish becareful of your guide inserts. Some inserts are not made to handle the braid. It will cut right into them leaving a nasty little cut, that can later cost you a good fish.

Hope this helps a little:letsdrink

·
Registered
561 Posts
Gloryboy (10/22/2007)Couple reasons for the mono backing. 1. To fill the spool, due to the thin diameter of braided lines and the high cost of it it is a good idea to back with mono then fill with braid. So you get a full spool and don't spend $40 on it. 2. Sometimes when braid is packed on really well and then allowed to dry it will slip on the spool, the braid will no bite on to the spool well enough.
These are basically the reasons that I use mono backing. As stated, a full spool is nice to have when casting a lot as well.

·
Registered
313 Posts
10lb to 20lb power pro with a 10lb mono backing. I use an albright knot to join the braid to a 20lb florocarbon leader. The sensitivity of the braid is amazing, you can feel them pick it up. Then you drop the hammer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts