Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you rolled your yak or been tossed off?

I'm getting ready this summer to go a mile or 2 out on lake michigan for the salmon. And I asked my wife if she'd think her cousins would be ok with me putting the yak in the pool to practice re-entry. I'd rather know how and have done it than wait for that "worst case" scenario in cold water.

Is this stupid haha?

·
Master of Disaster
3,042 Posts
It is recommended! We often suggest practicing flipping and re-entry excercises for yakkers. I have never been thrown off any further than at the beachhead, but you never know what can happen, especially on long trips. So our motto has always been "be prepared" and "practice, practice, practice"!

·
Registered
334 Posts
That is smart to practice. But a better practice is fine some rough water to practice in as from what I've heard the Great Lakes can get rough in a hurry. Be prepared for all conditions you my encounter is the best advise i can give.

·
Red Solo Kayak
1,269 Posts
Ive always taught people to recover themselves w/o assistance before they venture out into deeper/rougher waters. There are those who have and those who will flip its just a matter of time. Just be sure to wear your PDFs and eat your wheaties, this time of year the water is cold and you wanna get out of the water asap.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I've flipped before and fortunately was shallow enough that I didnt have trouble righting my kayak. Definitely practice in the pool so you know the best way to do it in case you flip out deep. the GCKFA has a video showing good methods of reentry. I'd recommend checking those videos out, they should be posted on here somewhere

·
The Tourist
2,273 Posts
i've jumped off my yaks plenty of times off shore and getting back on was a breeze. only time i've been tossed was in the surf.

one recommendation; NEVER tether yourself to your yak. saw a guy do that in La Jolla and he got tossed and pulled around.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Ive been tossed several times. The first time i didn't have my life jacket on. ALWAYS ,ALWAYS, ALWAYS were your life preserver. It was hell to get back in mine. Thought i was a goner. Good idea with the pool.

Scott

·
Registered
174 Posts
You might want to "Google" information about the following:

Waterbug's "Self Rescue Ladder" and Righting Aid
Sit on Top Kayaks / Personal Watercraft / Small Inflateables

I added one of these to my Safety Gear for my Hobie PA12.....

·
Registered
730 Posts
I fell out of my outback last February out at garçon point trying to stand up. I had a PFD on and amazed myself how fast I got back in the yak. Water was cold! Lost a nice pair of oakley sunglasses but lesson learned for sure.

·
Registered
140 Posts
That is how my brother-in-law and I learned how to get back on into our yaks. We put them in the pool at my mother-in- law's house. We both dumped the kayak about 3-4 times each, and after the second time it was pretty easy to get back on them. This might be a small advice, but when I went to NSWC, something that I learned, every time a boat was dumped, was to stay in the middle of the boat when you are try to get back on. That is what I did on my kayak. I just pulled myself up, lay across the middle, and sit down.

Have fun, good luck!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Have come out to swim, and also have rolled while helping a friend untangle lines when he had 2 fish going at once. Don't forget you'll have rods and tackle boxes, etc coming out of the boat. I tether everything, but once righting the yak, I put everything back in its place before crawling back in so I don't end up with lures hooked into me while trying to board. I reach across the yak to the opposite handle and pull my belly across the yak, then roll over into the seat.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Got tossed out of my Scrambler in the Pcola pass. Best way to flip it was from the rear of the kayak and roll it over. Trying to push it over was much harder. Getting in is easy with practice. Reach over and pull yourself up on your belly. Then you can wiggle back into the seat. Takes just a second to get bak in.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great stuff here. I like the idea of trying in the shallows. Once it warms up a bit I think i'll give it a go!

·
Registered
561 Posts
My bro got flipped vertically out of his kayak. Got hooked in the foot by one of his rods, lost $1500 worth of stuff and could have been seriously injured if the kayak had come back down on his head. Thankfully he wasn't alone and ended up being okay. If you're wanting to be as safe as you can, I would highly recommend not fishing out on a kayak without someone else around. My $.02

·
Big Dog
173 Posts
Definitely get that practice flipping the yak. My first outing on mine was on one of the local rivers and when I did I started panicking because I didn't practice flipping it. And I had no idea what to do.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Way easier to reach across the yak and roll it.
As far as surviving and reentry, there is no greater authority than BigRed38.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts