Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the THIRD time - - I have been kicked off a boat because I am a lady. GRRRR - How do you other ladies handle these situations?? I can do everything that a man can do - launch a boat, trailer a boat, dock a boat, drive a boat, anchor, put lines out, troll, make rigs, gaff, net, etc. etc... So what's with all the discrimination???? grrr..:banghead:banghead:moon

·
Registered
158 Posts
sorry to hear about that you gals are always welcome aboard mine when I get her fixed.

hell half the time im looking for someone to go out with my wife dosnt like going out and my kids dont help much they are to young to help.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Dang Amanada what are you doing to these guys? :poke

If I ever get the chance you can come with us, maybe you can teach my wife a few trick on handling the boat. When I try to teach her she gets pi$$ed and tells me to shut up. :banghead:banghead

·
Super Moderator
5,956 Posts
I dunno. I've had several ladies to fish with us. I was duely impressed by several. Not once have we "kicked" a lady off for being "a lady". If it's the hubby, grow them knees together, if not, tell em', "hell, one of ya'll gotta stay onshore".

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
A couple things to consider:

1- Have you ever thought that it might not be the guy that doesn't want you to go but instead his wife/girlfriend?

2- I know Ihave beenguilty of promissing more people than I can take then having to tell somebody they cant go. The reason behind this is because a lot of people tell you that they want to go but when its time to go they find better things to do and then you are left without a crew.

3- Sometimesmen just want to be out with the guys where they can take a leak over the side or make crude jokes or comments that they wouldn't feel comfortable saying/doing infront of the ladies.

All that being said I don't have a problem with taking women on my boat. #1 I'm single, #2 I have 2 set crew members and only have room for 1 more unless one of my normal deckhands can't make it so I don't have to put as many fliers out there to get a crew because I am fine with a crew of 3 and #3 I have enough days out with the guys so I don't have that problem.

Anyway, I hope you have better luck in the future. One more thing to add, next time make sure that they know that you really really want to go.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
was there appropiate co-ed bathroom facilities?

Seriously, is there more to the story? Did you really show up and they said "no women"?

PS: My 5 yr old would tell you that! Especially if you were his little sister.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The guy said "men don't usually take their wives fishing." . . . My husband told him if I don't go, he doesn't go. :)

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Amanda that guy apparently doesn't own a boat that his wife helps make the payments on. Our boat don't leave the dock without me. My husband will tell any guy that get's on our boat I'm his best fisher on the boat. On our boat there are his and her bathrooms front and back of the boat. My husband will tell you I'm more qualified than any of the guys. I'm like you I can run all the electronics, back the boat down on and hold it on the spot, gaff, you name it. Most of the guys that go out with us can't do all that. Our boat don't leave the dock without at least 2 qualified operators just in case of something happening to one or the other. That fella needs to buy his own boat sounds like to me. Good for your hubby.

·
Registered
48 Posts
reelfinatical (10/9/2007)For the THIRD time - - I have been kicked off a boat because I am a lady. GRRRR - How do you other ladies handle these situations?? I can do everything that a man can do - launch a boat, trailer a boat, dock a boat, drive a boat, anchor, put lines out, troll, make rigs, gaff, net, etc. etc... So what's with all the discrimination???? grrr..:banghead:banghead:moon
Maybe those guys are afraid you'll outfish them and make them look bad....

Some people need to learn how to enjoy life and let go ofthe macho man image....

·
Registered
84 Posts
Good for your husband! The guy that wouldn't take you sounds like an ignorant bastard. I have had the very destinct pleasure of fishing with Wade Hatten (Downtime 2) and Driscoll Colquitt (Off Route II). I've never felt more welcome on on boat than when I was fishing with them. It was while I was fishing with them that I met Jon Pinney (Water Hazard) and started fishing with him, too. I love fishing with him and my husband and our spouses don't get bent about it, as it should be. As far as bathroom facilities go, it's no big deal to have the boys turn around and hang over the side. If you have a shy bladder, jump in for a little swim. No big deal. Do whatever you have to do to go fishing. There are wonderful men who love fishing and enjoy having women on their boat. You, unfortunately came accross an asshole!

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Freddie Jr (10/9/2007)Good for your husband! The guy that wouldn't take you sounds like an ignorant bastard. I have had the very destinct pleasure of fishing with Wade Hatten (Downtime 2) and Driscoll Colquitt (Off Route II). I've never felt more welcome on on boat than when I was fishing with them. It was while I was fishing with them that I met Jon Pinney (Water Hazard) and started fishing with him, too. I love fishing with him and my husband and our spouses don't get bent about it, as it should be. As far as bathroom facilities go, it's no big deal to have the boys turn around and hang over the side. If you have a shy bladder, jump in for a little swim. No big deal. Do whatever you have to do to go fishing. There are wonderful men who love fishing and enjoy having women on their boat. You, unfortunately came accross an asshole!
I wish he would come to my dock and greet me with that attitude. The wind would be out of his sails in just a short second.:nonono:nonono:nonono:shedevil:shedevil:shedevil He'd be going home with his sails OOOP's I mean his tail tucked way up his behind.:shedevil:shedevil:shedevil

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Amanda I actually feel sorry for the poor bastard. Me and my wife love to go together and it is one common bond that we wont fuss about. Sure we rib each other about who caught the most or biggest but it is all in jest and we laugh about it and give each other a hard time. I would actually rather see her catch more than catching them myself. Kudos to your husband and I would do the same, If she aint welcomed niether am I. Precious may not be as adept of a boat handler as I would like but she catches her own fish, baits her own hook and as I clean the boat she will clean the fish. The only way I would turn a woman down is if I really didnt have room on the boat.

As I said before I really wish I could take some women with me so that maybe Precious will be more willing to learn if she sees anouther woman doing it :doh We are planning on a trip hopefully soon down to fish with Capt. Gene in Louisiana and cant wait to see her hook into some nice trout.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Dangggg Amanda.. that sucks. Can't understand why anyone who has a boat and wouldn't let a lady aboard to fish. I would be just as upset as you if I weren't allowed to go fishing on a boat. I do whatever needs to be done to fish. I'd rather fish than anything... so you know what I'm talking about!
As far as being worried about "having to go"... heck.. when you gotta go... you gotta go... I hang it off the side with the best of them... and let her go!If no one likes that.. they need to turn their head the other way. laffs.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I'm telling ya, my 5 yr old will tell you very quickly that girls can't go fishing. You might get a pass if you are a moma or grandma, but if you are a sister. Man-o-man, you have no place fishing in his boat!!!!!

Are you this guy's sister?

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Man I wish my wife was a hardcore fish catching ,boat driving,gaff swinging machine!

Well she can swing a gaff but ussually its at me....seriously though I would love to have a wife that into fishing. I have no problems taking a woman fishing

·
Jim T's sworn enemy!
2,261 Posts
I know several ladies on this forum that will outfish most men(present company excluded of course) If yall have your own boat,how come your going out on a different boat that your not welcome on? Personally I would gone out and slain every fish that swam under that guys boat for the insult,but that's just me:shedevil

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
bonita dan (10/10/2007)If yall have your own boat,how come your going out on a different boat that your not welcome on?
... We were gonna go out with the other guybecause we were still installing/transferring stuff to the new one. Plus, we can only go 30mph right now til we get the motors broken in - - making a 40+ mile run out at that speed will be one looong ride :D... It's all ok now - our boat is fixed and ready to go out again Friday. :D

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Sorry to hear about this. Maybe these "boys" are like some that come visit the beach on Memorial Day?

My wife can operate our 46' Motor sailer as well as I can. We have enjoyed 25+ years of wedded bliss and having the same boat. We traveled from Long Beach,CA two years in Mexico, Costa Rica and through the Panama Canal, then nonstop to Mobile,AL. Three hours on, three off while underway. She knows piloting, electronics and celestial navigation. I learned early on that she could out swim and dive me, so I followed along behind her with the goody bag. In the summer of 1989 the yellowfin tuna were running crazy in the Sea of Cortez. She landed as many as I did and you know how a tuna heads straight down. Of course, we are one of the few sailboats you will ever see with a fighting chair and fish cleaning station.

We do have our pink,blue and purple jobs.

Pink- She cooks and cleans the bottom of the boat.

Blue-I maintain engines and climb the mast.

Purple-I fix the toliet, she washes dishes

I was very glad she could run the boat in May 2001 when we were down the Bahamas, in the Exumas and I was injured so badly I could not walk or even sit up very long. She single handed our boat back to Cape Canaveral which had a hospital close to a marina.

Sometimes I think if it was me or the boat, she would take the boat.

Tom

1 - 20 of 26 Posts