Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought a switch at west marine for like $40 plus cables and everything. The switch is for two batteries. The only reason I got the switch is cause everytime I leave the boat sitting I have to recharge the battery because it seems like something is pulling current from the battery or each battery I try is just bad. Lol. But I have hooked two batteries up to the switch and even when the switch is off it will have a charge cause the radio fish finder etc will turn on. The boat is a 17ft with a VHF,FF,and radio. Are the only electronics plus the bildge. I will try to upload the diagram of how I wired the switch. Anyone see a problem?

Thanks for the help.
Tight lines

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
. Looking at your your pic the bottom post should go to the engine with the acc wire. the 2 top posts should go to each + batt. your ground should tie both batt together then go to engine block.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes the one of the batteries is connected to the accessories bildge, FF, etc. where do I connect that? The red wire from the electronics is connected to the switch and the negative to one of the batteries..

·
OCD Reel Service/Repair
6,067 Posts
Yes the one of the batteries is connected to the accessories bildge, FF, etc. where do I connect that? The red wire from the electronics is connected to the switch and the negative to one of the batteries..
On the back of the switch there is a "common" post. It is only hot when the switch is turned "on". Connect to that post with a wire large enough to carry the amps needed to all of your accessories except the bulge pump.

Put a fuse or breaker within 6" of the connetion to the switch. For example a #10 AWG wire with a 25 amp fuse or breaker. Run this wire up to the console to a fuse block. Connect your accessories to the fuse block. The fuse block will only be "on" when the battery switch is on in any position.

If the fishfinder has an inline fuse cut it out and throw away. Use an 1-1/2 ATC fuse in the fuse block.

You also have the batteries connected to the wrong post's on the switch. Battery 1 goes to battery one on the switch. Battery 2 to battery 2.

The engine connects to the common post on the switch..

Search Google for setup pictures.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts