Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when pulling lures like the Yozuri Bonitas. Do you prefer wire or mono? I have heard that heavy mono (#300) is fine, cause wahoo usually hit the tail first, like a mackeral will.

·
Registered
394 Posts
some prefer mono others wire... at 25 bucks a pop and with the bait moving at 9-15 knots i go with 3' sevenstrand and 10' of 200# mono shock leader . generally, the water where the hoo's are isn't ultra clear cobalt blue anyway so i go the safe route with wire. just my .02

·
Registered
391 Posts
10 ft. #150 or 200# mono and 2 ft. #10 single strand wire..... I'm going to try a pink plastic squid teaser over an 8 oz. sinker in front of the 3 ft. or so wire.. what do you think ???

·
Registered
32 Posts
You're gonna get cut off at the lead! When people rig like that they usually include another small piece of wire in front of the trolling lead.

Single strand wire is what I use, a lot of people use cable, it's a personal preference.

Definitely use something besides mono or you'll be losing a lot of gear.

Tight lines.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
To me the small twisted wire rigs made specifically for Yozuris are the best. Easy to handle, wont crimp or cut your hand, comes with large swivels on both ends. I bought mine from Melton's but you can get them anywhere.

MSyellowfin

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
MSYellowfin (2/7/2010)To me the small twisted wire rigs made specifically for Yozuris are the best. Easy to handle, wont crimp or cut your hand, comes with large swivels on both ends. I bought mine from Melton's but you can get them anywhere.

MSyellowfin
Nothing premade ever goes in the water when we are fishing.However, I am glad to hear youve had good luck with those

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
I pull them on #9-12 singlestrand and 175lb cable although I prefer sevenstrand to cable. The bonito's seem totrack betteron the singlestrand. The drawback to single strand like Eddie pointed out is the re-rigging involved with singlestrand. It usually only lasts one or two fish but re-rigging only takes a few seconds and can be done completely without tools.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Freespool (2/7/2010)
MSYellowfin (2/7/2010)To me the small twisted wire rigs made specifically for Yozuris are the best. Easy to handle, wont crimp or cut your hand, comes with large swivels on both ends. I bought mine from Melton's but you can get them anywhere.

MSyellowfin
Nothing premade ever goes in the water when we are fishing.However, I am glad to hear youve had good luck with those
Roger that!! Big +1. Learned that lesson the hard way:banghead:banghead:banghead

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
Freespool (2/7/2010)Better yet start wire line fishing!
I'm with ya on this one. I love wire line trolling and while some say its not sporting I have to disagree. Theres no doubt about it that wire line trolling has killed a lot of gulf wahoo.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Yes it has! Many a big hooter has fallen victim to a 9/0 packed with wire line behind a charter boat! Too bad you cant do it in tournaments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts