Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is going downbelow freezing. Get a gallon of anti freeze into your freash water cooled motors tonight or they may crack the block or pop your freeze plugs.Or put a heater near the motor so it doesnt freeze. Suppose to be like this all week and I would hate to hear about people losing motors for something so simple to prevent. I just did mine and it is COLD out. It is a lot easier to prevent than to fix!!!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
I feel like an idiot asking this, but where do you put it ( i know where to put that:moon)?..I mean the antifreeze:letsdrink

CurtyV

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
The best way is to run anti freeze in instead of water thru the pick up like you do when you flush the motor. I made a tank for the shop just for this purpose. There really isn't another way that I have ever heard to ensure the intire block and manifolds get anti freeze in them.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Outboard or Stern Drive, it is a good idea to trim you drives down so water isn't setting in the prop housing. It can freeze and bust the housing.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know nothing aobut outboards but I do a bit about I/O :there should be some wing nuts on your exhaust manifolds if you have an I/O. First thing I do is open these and drain all the water out. Then I close them again. Then I pull the water intake hose. It is the hose that leads from the transome to the motor. I undo the hose clamp and pull it up. I have mine set up with a link in the middle just for this. If you dont. You can cut it somewhere convieniant to get to and always get a coupler later when it warm up and have an access point. I lift the hose up and start filling with antifreeze. you should hear it running through the manifolds and hoses. This takes care of everything except the motor veins. For that your thermostat is your enemy. You can do one of two things. I usualy just pull mine apart, pull the thermostat and put it back together and pour in anti freeze. Or I have heard of heating up the water and pouring it in???? That never made sence to me. It would have to be damn near boiling and poured in to open the thermostat. I am sure I am wrong on a lot of this but I never lost a motor to a freeze. Take any precaustion you can. Enen if it means an electric blanket or a nearby heater. I am no mechanic or an expert but I just would hate for anyone to start off the year with a FUBARed motor.:banghead

oh and ditto on the lower your outdrive so it all drains!!!

**Also think about any freash water holding tanks you have. They will freeze in a polly tank and break it easy. A little salt in that water will help it from freezing cause salt water freezes at a lower temp. (closer to 0)

I just looked at the hour by hour and it looks like the freeze is suppose to set in at about 0500 which is when the sun comes up. Cover your engines in black towels, rags, underwhere or whatever and make sure they get the morning sun and they should be ok. A black tarp would be perfect.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I drained the water out of the block on my inboard mercruiser by pulling the plug on the side of the block.

BUT, Do I need to ALSO drain water out of the MANIFOLDS?????????!!!!

·
Praedator
10,009 Posts
BIGRIGZ (1/2/2008)I drained the water out of the block on my inboard mercruiser by pulling the plug on the side of the block.

Yes!!! You do not want any water in there at all. When I used to own an I/O, I put a small desk lamp (incandescent type)in the engine compartment overnight on the cold nights to keep it above freezing in there.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
BIGRIGZ (1/2/2008)I drained the water out of the block on my inboard mercruiser by pulling the plug on the side of the block.

Yes...Drain the exhaust/risers also. Should be a "T" on the hose coming out of the bottom of the manifold, if not remove the hose and let drain.

I remove both (V-8) engine petcocks and "T" valves on the exhaust manifolds.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Drain the manifolds and block. 4.3 liters have 4 plugs in all. Two in the manifolds and one on each side of the block. Then take the 4 hoses loose on the top front of the motor and pour in about a half gallon of antifreeze in each. Hook the hoses back up. This also protects the internals from corrosion.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Probaby not too practical or necessary for you guys but here goes.I used to fish year round with my I\O and I didn't want to have to go through all the winterizing each time I came home. Igot a huge tub and filled it withan antifreeze mixture and ran the motor awhile to circulate it through the motor.

·
Registered
869 Posts
H2OMARK (1/2/2008)Drain the manifolds and block. 4.3 liters have 4 plugs in all. Two in the manifolds and one on each side of the block. Then take the 4 hoses loose on the top front of the motor and pour in about a half gallon of antifreeze in each. Hook the hoses back up. This also protects the internals from corrosion.
Do you mean 1/2 gallon in each engine or in each of those 4 hoses?

I have a 350cid engine, I see the 4 hoses on the top/front. (2 go to manifolds and 2 go to the engine)

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Halfmoon (1/2/2008)Thanks!!! How do you winterize yourself????? Damn its cold!!!:reallycrying
I prefer Vodka but it has been known to make me cranky. Seriously, the easiest way to do it is the way David said. It is quick and easy and works like a charm. Good luck guys.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts

Use a 5 gallon bucket as a reservoir and a fitting. Cost less then $10.00 to make.

Or you can install one of these in the waterline coming off of the the through transom tube.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
When I lived up north, I was running a straight inboard (ski boat). I knew a few guys who used a heater/dipstick, that you just plugged in w/an extension cord It heated up the oil, of course). I found a similar device that replaced a freeze plug. It had a heating element, which also plugged in. It heated up the water inside the block. I used it on those end of or beginning of the season cold fronts. Pretty sure I got it at NAPA. Worked great! I'd beREAL careful about using a space heater or lightbulb setup. Many people do with no problem, but know of one instance (SkiWatch Estates in Milton) where the boat caught fire, burned down the house, and killed their son!

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Flounderpounder (1/2/2008)When I lived up north, I was running a straight inboard (ski boat). I knew a few guys who used a heater/dipstick, that you just plugged in w/an extension cord It heated up the oil, of course). I found a similar device that replaced a freeze plug. It had a heating element, which also plugged in. It heated up the water inside the block. I used it on those end of or beginning of the season cold fronts. Pretty sure I got it at NAPA. Worked great! I'd beREAL careful about using a space heater or lightbulb setup. Many people do with no problem, but know of one instance (SkiWatch Estates in Milton) where the boat caught fire, burned down the house, and killed their son!
I would stay away from dipstick heaters, they can and have caught the oil on fire. Outlawed in Canada. They can also build up carbon deposits and might be hard to remove from the dipstick tube. As far as the replacement heating element to replace the casting plug..well maybe but I'd be leery of riser protection, and in that case drain the manifolds and risers. So I drain all, the block and manifold/risers. Takes but a few minutes and I don't have to worry when gone out of town for a week or more that there might be a electrical interruption.

But for those that want a warmer..

·
Registered
869 Posts
I have another question, about flushing a motor.

I have an Inboard. I cannot for the life of me find a hookup for flushing the motor. Is it possible that the boat doesn't have one and needs one of those T fittings installed?

It has high speed pickups that go thru the bottom of the hull to a ball valve with a sight glass but none of the cooling hoses havea fitting to hook a hose up (that I can find so far anyway). BTW the boat is new to me and I've never had an inboard.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
BIGRIGZ (1/2/2008)I have another question, about flushing a motor.

I have an Inboard. I cannot for the life of me find a hookup for flushing the motor. Is it possible that the boat doesn't have one and needs one of those T fittings installed?

It has high speed pickups that go thru the bottom of the hull to a ball valve with a sight glass but none of the cooling hoses havea fitting to hook a hose up (that I can find so far anyway). BTW the boat is new to me and I've never had an inboard.
Most likely a CLOSED system (do you have a tank/radiator with a cap to add coolant?) and the PU is used to cool the manifolds. Closed system should have anti freeze in the system. Check manifolds to see if there is in fact a drain.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts