Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is going downbelow freezing. Get a gallon of anti freeze into your freash water cooled motors tonight or they may crack the block or pop your freeze plugs.Or put a heater near the motor so it doesnt freeze. Suppose to be like this all week and I would hate to hear about people losing motors for something so simple to prevent. I just did mine and it is COLD out. It is a lot easier to prevent than to fix!!!!

·
Jim T's sworn enemy!
2,259 Posts
Good advice man and hope those that read this heed the warning. Damn its cold out now:hoppingmad

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
New boat owner... How does one go about doing this? Yamaha 90 Saltwater model...

·
Registered
689 Posts
You dont have to worry, this is only for people with inboards, and most likely ones that have closed cooling systems. Meaning it has a cooling system that is closed loop like a car or truck, instead of like most boats, that have open cooling, that draw raw water from under the boat or off the motor, then spit it back out once its been through the motor.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Anyone who owns an outboard or a sterndrive and is stored out in the weather need to lower thier engine as far down as they can get it.... puddled water in the lower unit behind the prop can freeze and bust the gear case.....:usaflag

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
N-Reel-Trouble (1/2/2008)You dont have to worry, this is only for people with inboards, and most likely ones that have closed cooling systems. Meaning it has a cooling system that is closed loop like a car or truck, instead of like most boats, that have open cooling, that draw raw water from under the boat or off the motor, then spit it back out once its been through the motor.
FYI,

Even motors with closed cooling systems pull raw water from outside and still need to be winterized. The closed system uses raw water to cool the heat exchanger just like air passing thru the radiator in a car. Raw water is in the heat exchanger and the manifolds and can freeze and cause damage.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
damn i am glad i logged on tonight. i ran outside and lowered the motor and heard water coming out. it already had ice on the bottom edge of the foot.:doh

·
Registered
689 Posts
What do you do to the open water side?

I didnt even think about water to water cooling.I was thinking regular old radiator with a fan! lol

Makes much more sense now!

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
N-Reel-Trouble (1/2/2008)What do you do to the open water side?

I didnt even think about water to water cooling.I was thinking regular old radiator with a fan! lol

Makes much more sense now!
On WHAT??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts