Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fishing has been consistent all around. No producing incredible numbers on the flats but there have been fish most everywhere.

The upper bays have been holding fish in the usual places for this time of the year. I have found lots of lower slot redfish (20"-24") holding in the mouths of the creeks in Blackwater and Escambia Bay. The trout bite has been better a little further north but haven't been able to land the big trout I have in the past. They seem to be eluding me this year! For the best result I would look in the 2-5 foot depth range and make sure to work the baits slower than usual as the fish are lethargic this time of year. Any sudden change in depth or structure are great places to start. I've had a lot of success throwing the Slayer SSB on a 1/16th oz jig head in Golden Brim, Camo, and Rootbeer once I have some fish located and am able to slow down. When banging banks I have been slow rolling the Slayer Inc. SST in Silver Mullet, Golden Brim, and Bounty Hunter rigged on a 1/8 oz weedless Slayer Inc. hook. If the water hits mid to upper 50's ill throw a topwater around creeks mouths and grass.

The sound is holding some great schools of slot redfish. With the extremely clear and low water it is easy to pick them up in the potholes and drop offs that are much easier to spot this time of year. Look for any change in depth and schooling mullet and you will definitely find fish. Once you find a school of fish back off and make extremely long cast and work slow or dead stick a bait and they will eat! Same baits have been productive in the sound but they have really been eating the Slayer Inc. SSB in Golden Brim.

I have found a better bite in the late morning. Most mornings I don't get on the water till 9-10. Hope everyone's been catching em and looking forward to an awesome Spring!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
656 Posts
Jeff- you have gotten me FIRED UP!!! I can't wait to get out there on my new rig! Reds in The Sound is why I moved here, basically. I am dying waiting for them to get my boat rigged up. I don't know if you want to, but send me a PM if you are ever looking for a fishing partner or want to get out on a different boat.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Good report.

Seems I'm not the only one who can't find big trout this year...
Wonder where those big girls are hiding?

·
Provocateur
200 Posts
Nice fish! I've been on a spot in the surf for a six weeks or so landing slot reds, but no dice the last few days. I guess I need to try the sound a few times, and see if my luck changes

1 - 13 of 13 Posts