Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone provide some suggestions on what to wear when kayak fishing in the winter here? I'd like to be able to continue to fish all winter without freezing :)

·
Registered
318 Posts
The last few days I have worn a moisture wicking layer first, then a zillion other light layers over the top. It makes it easy to take clothes on and off depending on your exertion level. Keeping my feet dry on launches seems to be the toughest part, havent quite tackled that yet

·
Senior Yakker
2,768 Posts
servo765 said:
The last few days I have worn a moisture wicking layer first, then a zillion other light layers over the top. It makes it easy to take clothes on and off depending on your exertion level. Keeping my feet dry on launches seems to be the toughest part, havent quite tackled that yet
Knee-high rubber boots...a must-have in winter if you ask me. Makes all the difference in the world while launching.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Anyone have a particular type glove they use for cold weather? My hands give me the biggest problem when it comes to cold.

·
Red Solo Kayak
1,269 Posts
Keep in mind that you have to prepare for all situations, Neoprene waders may keep you warm and dry but if you fall in and fill up with water youre stuck with extra weight and it is incredibly hard to move around. Personally i wear layers, enough to keep warm and dry quick if i get wet. Usually wear an underarmor longsleeve shirt over that a long sleeve button up/pull over shirt then a fleece pullover and if its super breezy a thin hard shell jacket. Pants i usually wear my 6" compression shorts, running shorts and then a pair of water resistant pants like columbia or magellan. I rarely use gloves and i usually wear boots. Headwear i wear a columbia face cover, maybe two depending if its windy and a lage beanie enough to cover my ears and back of my neck.

heres a blog that i frequent even tho hes not in the area hes always got great tips and ideas.

Rob Choi - http://www.angling-addict.com/

first blog is about cold weather gear.

·
Senior Yakker
2,768 Posts
Waders filling with water is a myth. The pressure of the surrounding water keeps them tight against your body. May get a little water in there but they're not gonna fill with water.

...not that I wear them. I just layer up.

·
Terrible Fisherman
384 Posts
I know it wasnt really cold yesterday but we set out at daylight so it was pretty chilly and breezy. I wore some military issue gortex top and bottom. For my feet I just wore my booties that I use for my freedive fins. They are not a dry boot but they kept me warm. I just rolled up my pant legs up to me thighs and once in the boat I rolled them down. I was toasty all morning and removed the top once it warmed up. I actually like wearing the pants because they kept my legs safe from fins and I didnt have to slather on all the sun screen to keep my legs from baking.

·
Red Solo Kayak
1,269 Posts
Waders filling with water is a myth. The pressure of the surrounding water keeps them tight against your body. May get a little water in there but they're not gonna fill with water.

...not that I wear them. I just layer up.
agreed there wont be any pressure differential unless you dive down 8+ feet. but they will retain some water and if its cold enough thats enough to put you in danger. I have a pair of waders, wore twice never wore again. Not that i didnt like them i just got fat.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Layering is key - lightweight, wicking stuff first, like polypropylene u-wear. The Under Armor / Nike cold gear works pretty good. Then layer up with fleece or other mid-weight tops. You need a windproof / waterproof top layer. The Goretex pants / jacket sound good. If you can swing it, paddling pants are perfect - they are wind/water proof and have neoprene closures at the ankle to limit water intake. I found some neoprene gloves that keep the hands warm. Sealskinz makes a waterproof sock that will your feet dry when you launch, then dive booties are you are good. Make sure you 1) wear a PFD and 2) wear it over your clothes...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts