Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does everyone deal with winter offshore kayak fishing these days?

Strip down, plan to get wet going through the surf, and then gear back up?
Try to stay dry during the launch, best you can?
What do you wear?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea i just bought a shorty and booties in case i go over, but just wondering how people prevent wet-ass this time of year

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I have been looking into this for a while and have not been able to come up with a decisive plan. Not so worried about my top half... bottom half still unsure. Waders; to hard to get back in boat, Boots; fill with water, Wetsuit; unknown behavior out of water (referring to my wetsuit knowledge).

Would somebody please go over this for safety reasons please.

My question is what to wear in the winter when traversing the surf into the GOM especially if it is a little rough.
I am assuming a wetsuit is the answer but what thickness, style, manufacturer ect...

I am wanting to fish cobia season in april and I am concerned with staying warm while traversing the surf

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, for what its worth, with water temps in the high 50s/low 60s, I don't even consider going offshore if it is "a little rough"

·
Registered
586 Posts
There are a lot of suits/gear etc out there. I don't kayak much but stand up paddle, wetsuits are too hot if you are paddling hard. I have some Season 5 Atmos 1.0 gear / top and bottom I wear with surf booties (3mm). The S5 stuff is waterproof but breathes, it could be part of what you would wear, though it is not "warm" it is dry. Another company, Victory Kore-dry also makes some hydro--phobic gear too.

Finding the balance among dry, warm and not overly hot while paddling is challenge.

I would think you would/should opt for warm as kayak fishing is not as intense as SUP'ing.

Some of my friends up north are wearing a dry suit called a Sup Skin, they are out in freezing conditions and are staying warm and dry.

·
Banned
3,674 Posts
Your original question was WINTER and getting out without getting too wet. I honestly don't think it's possible to get out and stay completely dry unless you use chest waders or dry suit. Chest waders are dangerous unless you keep them cinched around your chest. I really don't trust them in water that I know is deep. I don't know much of anything about dry suits.

Go with a 5mm wet suit for getting out past the surf. If it gets too hot, pull the top down to your waist. Some of the new wetsuits go thicker where you need heat (body core) and thin where you need flexibility (limbs and joints).

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
this might require a little google searching but might be worth looking in to. I used to go wade fishing is very cold streams in Colorado and Montana. Most of us tourists (and a lot of guides) wore waterproof waders but a surprising number wore some sort of thick wool underwear and quickdry long pants for wading in very cold water. They swore they stayed warm and didn't have to worry about waders filling up with water or getting a hole punched in them. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
thanks I have a 2015 hobie pa 14 so I really do not have to exert myself much for propulsion. Just wanting to stay warm and or dry when traversing surf. Wet suit will probably be the answer... any sugestions?.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have some Bomber Gear pants that I wear with some rubber boots that go about half way up my shins. On top I have a jacket I wear that's waterproof like the Bomber Gear pants, usually wear a turtle neck underneath. Have been warm and dry! Other than my hands of course...

·
Registered
947 Posts
Unless you want to wear a dry suit, which is very expensive and probably overkill, get a pair of waterproof boots and paddling pants. I wear a pair of NRS dry pants which are waterproof, windproof and breathable. Roomy enough to layer underneath. Chota waterproof boots with wool socks. Some layers of fleece on top, maybe a waterproof/windproof jacket and I am fine in the coldest water/weather. If I capsize, I will not get completely soaked and will stay warm enough to get home.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wet suites are useless. You have to get wet for them to work. I would plan on getting wet when launching from the beach. All of you cloths should be able to dry quickly. I am usually wet from the waste down. I wear dive booties, gortex pants with swim trunks underneath. A quick dry shirt with a gortex top. In a dry bag I have a warm top and bottoms if I start to get cold. I have been launching in the A.M. in low 40's and high 30's and have not needed the warm layer. They key is to launch wearing attire that you are comfortably cool in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts