Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hey, i am pretty new to this salt water fishing thing so im looking for some info. Where im from, you can really only do any good fishing in the summer months (alaska), but here i guess (hope) its a different story. I am sure different fish are around at different times of the year, but im looking for what is supposed to be good fishing during the fall/winter out in navarre/fwb/destin area, both gulf and bay. Also, until actually hooking and landing a nice sized grouper, i have not really seen them as a challenge. But obviously my thoughts have changed, and now i want to know when the best time is to get the hook wet for em'. Any advise is much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
55 Posts
You can catch bonita, speckled trout, redfish, flounder,king mackeral, white trout, and grouper in the winter I might of forgot something but thats about it good luck.

·
Registered
684 Posts
The big bull redfish are fairly consistent and fairly easy to find this time of year. Around passes and off the beach. Inshore fishing is off and on this time of year. You can find grouper offshore but getting to them with the seas up is a challenge. There are a number of different angling opportunities during the winter, just keep reading this forum and you'll pick up alot about this area and whats going on....

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks a ton. my boat trip got canned this morning (unforseen causes) so im off to go find some sheepshead around the jetties. Later!

·
Registered
802 Posts
Nice Grouper! I just started fishing here myself last year was my first winter. I had a bay boat at the time so 99% of the fishing I done was inshore. here is what i was catching by month.

Sept, Oct.

In the bay;

Kings, Spanish, red drum, black drum, mangrove snapper, whiting, flounder, speckle trout and white trout

Offshore; (we only went one time in sept on a charter)

Vermilion snapper, red snapper, white snapper, lane snapper, and grouper

Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb/March

In the bay;

White trout and whiting. Sheepshead are also very good in the colder months

Went off shore once with a friend of mine in Jan all we caught was red snapper that we had to throw back. we where using cut bait other boats out that had live bait were catching other fish including grouper.

This year now that I have a bigger boat been doing more offshore and less bay fishing. I've been catching the heck out of short amber jack and big red snapper all of witch I have to throw back. I keep trying because I'm after those grouper like the you caught. Theres a lot of good fishing here in the winter you just have to keep your eye on the wave reports and pick your days.

There was one time we launched out of Navarre last winter and fished the sound the water was crystal clear. we never got a bite and i never tryed it again I just drove to P-cola to launch and fished the 3-mile bridge, I always caught fish there.

Good luck, if you ever want to go fishing send me a pm I'm in Navarre but usually launch out of P-cola.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts