Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What happens in the winter? When do the kings usually leave? Are there fish to be caught in the gulf that are within yaking distance?

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Still lots of summer ball to play.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Most of the tourists leave and we have the water to our selves for a while. Watch the water temp for kings. When the water starts dropping into the 60's the bite will start to slow. And yes, you can catch fish year round out here. Some of my largest fish have been caught in the winter.... right on the beach.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
November is prime for big kings, at least off the piers. Also BFT come in with more consistently.

Ive found that the Gulf is MUCH calmer on average in the winter then any other time of the year, but Ive only been here for three winters. I will be mostly free diving the sound to shoot sheepshead when they stack up and the water is clear.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Just checking. I am in Birmingham so I have to plan my trips in advance. Hopefully I will be in OB on Labor Day and will be perhaps looking for company to hit the water with.

I plan on doing a little duck hunting out of my yak so the cold and wet thing will be a theme this winter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts