Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at putting a windlass on my boat? Anyone got any input on what make and best one for the money? I know absolutely nuthing about them. Thanks Mickey

·
Registered
408 Posts
First of all, you are going to like it but your fishing buddies are going to LOVE it. My only advice is, if you can afford it get a free fall windlass. Makes it much easier to anchor accurately. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Only buy a Freefall unit!

Forward control switches are real nice to have.

[/url]

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
An anchor float assembly works fine and are much cheaper. I have them.

Ron 850-712-2603

·
Registered
79 Posts
+1 on the anchor ball assembly. Windlasses are nice to have, but it becomes another piece of equipment that will need to be maintained. Eventually over time the bearings will either seize due to it not being used or from salt water corrosion. If you don't have a genset onboard it will consume a considerable amount of battery power depending on how many times you pick up anchor. If you still insist, a free fall design is what you will want. The anchor ball set up has worked for me for over a decade in deep and shallow water. If you don't have one, borrow one and try it before you buy the windlass.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have a lewmar 700 Pro Fish with free fall and when the rode does not wrap around the gypsy it is great but when the rode does wrap around it is a royal pain. I bought an 8 plait rode in hopes that it would solve the problem but so far it has not. next boat i intend to use the retrieval ball like sealark posted, i can always add a windlass later.

KP

·
Registered
76 Posts
Back home we had an anchor ball, and down here I have a non-freefall windlass. The anchor ball is a way better system IMO. The windlass takes so damn long to hit bottom its tough to hit the x when the winds and current are tricky.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts