Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I just bought a new TC Omega and I'm shooting with the iron sights. I went to the range and got great groupings at 100 yards (really 112 with the laser range finder). Anyway I figured that I need to come about 6 inches left and 2 inches up to hit dead center. Consulting with the owner's manual it says; "Example; moving the sight blade to the right moves your shots to the right and move to the left moves the shots to the left."

I'm almost embarrassed to ask the question since I have been hunting the last 23+ years with telescopic sights, but isn't this bassackwards? I've got the CRS thing going and for the life of me can't remember the basics. I know that elevating the rear sight will raise the impact area. Do they mean "blade" as the front sight, because that would make sense.

Next question is, does anybody have any decent ballistic charts? I'm shooting 100 grains of powder (two pellets)and a 250 grain sabot. My question here would be if I am dead center at 100, where would I be hitting at 50 yards?

I sure like the new (or at least new to me) fiber optic sights and I'm smacking a 2-3 group at 112 yards. I'll rate them as 2 boners up!

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Move the rear sight in the direction you want the bullet to go. For example, if you're shooting low, raise the rear sight. If you're shooting left, move the rear sight to the right.

If you're using a scope, adjust the crosshairs in the direction indicated on the scope. If you're shooting low and left, turn the screws "up" and "right" the respective number of clicks.

Ballistics..??????

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tuna Man (11/13/2007)

Ballistics..??????
Yeah, how many sets of balls can you rest on some shooting sticks? :doh:doh Sorry the Jim Beam is kicking in! Thanks for the other info.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Tyee Dave (11/13/2007)No. It is just my severly warped sense of humor. Sorry.
:banghead:banghead:banghead Don't worry, I have about a warped sense of humor as the best. Hate to miss a good laugh.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:banghead:banghead Dammit, I should have read your quote on political correctness first. Therefore I would not have incriminated myself nor hijacked my own thread.

Happy shooting: TD out

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Very simple problem I've used in my Hunter Safety classes.

For Iron Sights with adjustable REAR sight:

Shoot your weapon from a good rest 3 times at a target. Walk out to it stand about 10-15' from it.

1) Hold your arm (left or right depending on dominate eye)
2) Close your hand and stick your thumb up like you were hitch hiking
3) Aim - dominate eye and Tip of thumb at the exact place you aimed your weapon at on the target - NOT WHERE YOUR BULLETS WENT. Your target should be 10-15' from you
4) Your dominate eye IS the rear sight now.
5) Holding your Arm and Thumb STILL move your head (which moves your eye) until you line up your eye with the tip of your thumb and are looking at the center of the three shots on the target.
6) Move your rear sight EXACTLY how you moved your head to line up the center of the three shots.

Example if you are shooting High to the Left You'll HAVE to move your head Down to the Right to line up your eye to the shots on the target. You'll need to move your sight Down to the Right as well.

With practice you'll get a "feel" for how much you need to adjust your sight to how much you had to move your head. EXAMPLE 2" of left head movement = 6 clicks on the sight = 4" right shot placement on the target at 50 yards.

------------------------------
Dead on at 100yrds with flat (1/2) elevation with Iron sights means the bullet will cross the eye plane very shortly after leaving the barrel. and recross at 100yrds. Only a ballistics chart will be certain OR YOUR experiment by sighting dead on at 35 and 75 yards and see how high the bullet goes above the eye plane.
:mmmbeer
Stressless

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WOW. that's some good stuff. I've always advocated that type advice for scatterguns but never applied it to smokepoles.Nowmy next question is; Canold dog can be taught new tricks or if I keep learning am I a young dog?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts