Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you had to choose between cover or wind direction while bow hunting, which one would you choose and why?

The reason I'm asking is that I chose wind direction yesterday and I got busted by two shooter bucks because I didn't have enough cover. It got me thinking about this quandry.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Wind.

A Whitetail Deer's #1 line of defense is his sence of smell. I would choose to try to defeat that first. If you would have been upwind, it would have been more likely you would have been busted, but you wouldn't have known about it.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Wind direction is all day more key than cover. I mean these dear can smell you a mile away.Cover is still very important but if your stitting up wind and stinking, that deer is never gone come in to give you that chance to try to fool them with cover.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,548 Posts
wind period

·
Registered
258 Posts
No doubt it's wind and try and get a little higher if cover is poor. Deer can't seegreat but their nose is the best in the business. You probably wouldn't have even seen the bucks if the wind was wrong.

Anthony

·
Registered
12,944 Posts
I'm afraid the question is too difficult to answer without actually seeing the tree you were in. Now, where you hunting? I'll check it out in the morning and let you know the answer.

·
Registered
249 Posts
if you cant get both move I cary a pop up ground blind in the truck with my tree stand that way if I nont halve both wind and cover I can get cover then move to get the wind make shure you halve plenty of scent killers I spray down about 3 times in an afternoon it workes for me in bow season in gun season go for cover. scent dosent mater as much since the weather is colder but doo somthing for the trail you walk in on I us fox p on the bottom of my boots walking init workes for me maby it will work for you

·
Registered
477 Posts
Barry I guess you got your answer! I too would say wind.... Can't wait to hear the story. Did they just "look up" and see you or did they "catch" you? Hope you have good weekend hunting!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
miztergentz (11/10/2007)Barry I guess you got your answer! I too would say wind.... Can't wait to hear the story. Did they just "look up" and see you or did they "catch" you? Hope you have good weekend hunting!
Actually, it was one of those days when it was cold. I looked at my watch and it was 4:15pm and I decided to put my remaining shirt on. I looked around and didn't see anything so I put my shirt on. As soon as I slipped it on I looked to my right and they were standing about 80yds. away underneath some ti-ti trees staring at me. I might as well as stood up and waved at them.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Wind, no doubt. I've had deer walk right by me sitting on the ground as long as I didn't move with the wind in my favor. I've been busted with the wind in my favor too but if the wind had been in their favor, I wouldn't have seen them at all. I've seen too many of them react to my scent when they weren't even looking my way to believe any different.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts