Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Dad gave me his old Winchester to use because it slings a tight buckshot pattern. Deadly out to 50 yards. I was thinking about a new slug gun and thought instead of buying a gun just have a rifled barrel made for the Model 50. Does anyone know of a barrel maker who might could do this? This would have to be a custom barrel because there are no aftermarket barrels made for this gun.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
If it has a smooth bore it should shoot regular slugs (non sabot) pretty good. That's what I use in my 870 and its deadly accurate with slugs out to 50-60 yds, after that they will start to tumble and lose accuracy. That's what I use for several of my stands in the thick stuff with close shots.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Might be a fun project to buy a used barrel, cut it down to 20 inches, and then solder a set of sights on.

I actually epoxied a set of sights off a Remington 742 onto an H&R single shot .410 in about 1970 and they are still on there, so epoxy might work, too.

Slugs will work fine though a smoothbore. Or good enough out to about 100 yards.

·
Registered
6,492 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts