Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 27ft center console boat that has a platform and twin motors on the back. Its around 5500lb dry weight. I'm assuming around 6-6500#s loaded up. I have a 2500lb trailer winch with a 10k breaking strength 2" strap.

My boat has an issue sliding back off of the bow stops when pulling out of the water, regardless of how deep I have the trailer in the water. I went to a reputable trailer place and they stated I just need a 3200lb or 3500lb winch with a 3" strap.

I'm having an issue finding trailer winches with a 3" strap. Can someone tell me what kind of winch setups they are using for their boat setups that is similar to mine?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I use a 3" strap but the boat still settles with the bows a couple of inches off the bunk. I'm not going far so that is OK for me.
If I am going on a trip, a quick tap of the brakes will snug it up, then I tighten it down with the winch strap. I'm not saying this is the best way, just the way I do it.

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,970 Posts
The trailer shop had no recommendations?

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Go see Eddie English in Milton on Hwy. 90
Tell him your issue with the boat and trailer set up. He will have the solution.:thumbsup:

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,970 Posts
Guess they didn't want your $$$? :confused: That would have been a quick sale for them.
They the same ones that worked on it before?

Might want to take the rig to another place for their take on it.

ETA The angle of the strap might have something to do with it.
Have you ever backed it back in after it slid back to try to winch it to hit the bow stop again?

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Sorry....I have to laugh. What does a 3in wide strap have to do with the boat setteling back from the winch post?

The answer is Nothing!

The standard on this is a 2in wide "Yellow " strap.

Are you trying to winch the boat forward after it's out of the water? That will not work either.

It has to do with your setup and how deep your backing your trailer in....Most people put the trailer in to deep......Until they learn.

It also has to do with the ramp your using.

I'd be happy to take a look at it and assist you with remedying the problem.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I have a 23ft cc; as I was getting to know the boat I found that backing the trailer too deep caused more issues than it helped - settling off the bow stop and not centered properly a lot of times. When I'm trailering alone, which is about half the time, I use a modified power load - I drive up, get as far as I can with about maybe 1/2 throttle, center the engine and then hop out front and winch the boat in while the engine is still in gear. Then I just hop back on from the bow to turn off the engine and trim the motor the rest of the way up. Having the engine in gear for the extra push really helps take a lot of the pressure off the winch strap so I don't have to back as far in and it takes less force to pull the boat into position, which means the angle of the boat as it approaches the bow stop is normal for how it will lie once pulled out... thus I don't really get the back slide and I don't have to put all the weight of the boat squarely on the winch strap (or my shoulders/arms).

I have a fixed tongue jack with a flange I can step on, making boarding and exiting from the bow a much easier endeavor than it used to be when I had the folding jack wheel.

Dunno if that might help you or not. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guess they didn't want your $$$? :confused: That would have been a quick sale for them.
They the same ones that worked on it before?

Might want to take the rig to another place for their take on it.

ETA The angle of the strap might have something to do with it.
Have you ever backed it back in after it slid back to try to winch it to hit the bow stop again?
Not the same people, this was a recommended place in Milton. :whistling:

Yes, on 1st pull out of the water and after tightening it down to where the handle almost strips out of the shaft (yes I'm on my 2nd handle) its slides back off about 3-4 inches from the bow stop.

Then I back it the boat back into the water, feel like crap for whos waiting on me, then tighten in that slack, pull back out of water and its only about 1 to 2 inches from the bow stop and I can't get it any closer.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry....I have to laugh. What does a 3in wide strap have to do with the boat setteling back from the winch post?

I thought the same thing, the 2500 lb winch seem to be pulling it up fine.

The answer is Nothing!

The standard on this is a 2in wide "Yellow " strap.

that helps me, the guy took 2 seconds and I had to convince him to look at the trailer setup

Are you trying to winch the boat forward after it's out of the water? That not work either.
I only tighten it to get the bow to come down some more not I'm more wondering why it slips back.

It has to do with your setup and how deep your backing your trailer in....Most people put the trailer in to deep......Until they learn.

I did a post on this about a month a ago and I got some great feedback about not putting the trailer to deep. So I tried this and when I did this you could hearing the bunks and boat making a ton of noise from the friction. I still rolled it up though to the bow stop with the same issue

It also has to do with the ramp your using.

I'd be happy to take a look at it and assist you with remedying the problem.
I'll send ya a PM, much appreciated. I really feel like its a setup issue as in the winch post has to come back more or something. However, I'm still a rookie and could totally be user error lol

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's a picture and a little more info if it helps. I'll have to take another photo recently where you can see the bow stop marks have taken a vetical chunk out of the black pin strip line. In line with that chunk being missing is a orange scuff mark from the bow stop from me tightening it soo tight.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,706 Posts
I didn't read all the posts. It looks to me there is to much weight on the stern and the boat needs to come up further on the trailer. Who rigged the winch and that bow stop should be further up toward the eye. Never seen a winch setup like that configuration. But what do I know? Just guessing.
What support does the boat have in the stern?

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,970 Posts

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
I had the same issues until I quit backing the trailer in as deep. Once I figured out where to stop (about a foot and a half earlier or a couple inches less depth), the issue went away.

Reactions: KPTN and X-Shark

·
Registered
310 Posts
Here's a picture and a little more info if it helps. I'll have to take another photo recently where you can see the bow stop marks have taken a vetical chunk out of the black pin strip line. In line with that chunk being missing is a orange scuff mark from the bow stop from me tightening it soo tight.
Didn't you have an experienced charter captain offer to meet you at the ramp and help you work through some of the loading issues you were having?

Until you make sure that boat is at the right spot on the trailer so that you have about 10% of the weight on the tongue, fix that bow stop/strap issue and figure out how deep the trailer needs to be in the water when loading, your trailering woes will likely continue.

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,970 Posts
Plus, why is the anchor hanging out that much?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
X-shark talked to me this morning, major thanks for your time. I think we can all conclude the setup over all is jacked.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts